Sign in to follow this  

question about trailer size pulling a dirtbike

I'm looking to buy a small trailer to pull only one bike, my 1999 xr200. I've seen some inexpensive trailer kits that say they can handle a bike with a wheel base of 58" or less. These trailers have a bed length of 48-50 inches so the wheels of the bike actually sit on the rail a few inches past the end of the trailer. I think the wheelbase of the xr200 is less than 55".

Is that a safe way to go? What would the minumum size trailer bed you'd recommend for an xr200?

I don't see why not as long as the bike tires remain on the rail...otherwise it would be wasted space hanging out past the rear wheel/tire.

a 5' by 8' wouldn't be bad. I own one. You can haul a dirt bike, lawn mower, or even a quad with no problem!

If you only have to pull 1 bike, get a hitch hauler. That way you don't have to go through getting a plate, inspection, etc...

If you only have to pull 1 bike, get a hitch hauler. That way you don't have to go through getting a plate, inspection, etc...

+1

If you have vehicle that can handle the weight then this is a great idea.

+2 ...... you can make one cheap as well

I have the Harbor freight 4x8 heavy duty with the 12" wheels. A simple assembly and a sheet of plywood is all it takes to get these things ready. Cost me all of $250 I think. It has held up strong for 5 years hauling bikes and everything else I can get on it all over hell with no problems.

I have one of those micro trailers from harbor freight. I put 5.5 ft of 2x6 treated lumber on it and a front wheel lock that you roll the bike into and secures the wheel without compressing the forks with straps. Works good! Now I tow it with the car getting 26mpg rather than 14 mpg in a truck. There is still plenty of room on the trailer for gas gans and tools also.

I have one of those micro trailers from harbor freight. I put 5.5 ft of 2x6 treated lumber on it and a front wheel lock that you roll the bike into and secures the wheel without compressing the forks with straps. Works good! Now I tow it with the car getting 26mpg rather than 14 mpg in a truck. There is still plenty of room on the trailer for gas gans and tools also.

Buckrun,

That trailer from harbor freight, that's the one I'm thinking about. It's red and the bed is 40" X 48". I like that trailer because it's very light and I'll be pulling this with a honda civic so I want to go as light as possible.

That wheel lock you mentioned, can you describe that? How does that work?

Joe

Single place aluminum snowmobile trailer will hold a big quad, or 3 bikes easy. 5'x8'. light weight. Even have a track system installed for the bikes. Will post pics once the snow melts off it.