Sign in to follow this  

250 smoking

I have an 08 250 xc-f with about 140 hours on it now and seems to running great. The last two weeks while riding my riding partners have been telling me in blowing some blue smoke while hitting some steep steep hill climbs. They have also said that they dont see it while normal riding, just when I have to really get on it to do some hill climbs. Sometimes I have noticed that my oil level is a little low after riding and I sometimes will find a table spoon amount of oil in the air cleaner boot. I do run the rekluse and change my oil every 4-5 rides and the filter every other oil change.

BP

So I should start to think about replacing the piston real soon. Can it be done myself or should I find a shop.

Could rich jetting on a 250f cause smoking? I have 250 xc-f that I just put a 300 kit on. It smokes under load. Tore it apart and there is no evidence of blow by or the rings not seating. Other then that it runs good.

On a 4-stroke black smore indicates rich mixture. Blue is oil mixed with exhaust gases and white means you´re in trouble... Blown head gasket.

You will have to teach me what the ring end gap is. I did find that the vent hose on top of the valve cover appeared to be pinched in between the cover and the fuel tank. Im try to gather my Ktm buddies to come help check compression, valves and a few other things.

Put the ring in the cylinder. Use the piston to push the ring square in the bore and then use a feeler gauge to check the end gap on the ring.