Sign in to follow this  

Black Mamba.. convert to HID?

I really like the look of the Black Mamba light housing but have heard the lumens suck even compared to a stock OEM light. Given that I havent really seen anything posted since 2008 I thought Id revive the topic.

image018.jpg

So far Ive researched that the bulbs used in this are MR-16 and MR-11 standard halogens @ 20W each.

Ive found a place that sells HID conversions @ 6000k for the MR-16 but they are $$$ and need balasts purhcased separately...

Also wondering if H1 or H4-3 conversion kits might fit... but Id probably need some form of deflector (spray Krylon chrome?) for this route.

Option 3 is to maybe contact trailtech and see if they would sell just the HID SCMR-16 or MR-11 bulbs/balasts... not really an eager choice though.

Has anyone managed to manipulate the housing to allow for HID?

DDMTUNING.COM has great prices on complete HID kits a few TTers have used. Big drawback of the Mamba is no reflector, HID puts out SOOO much light you might be able to get away with it or retrofit another reflector. What does the backside of one of those things look like?

I saw a black mamba today in seal beach on a sm and it was TITS!! i thought it would be way more bright than my h-4 piaa bulb, i saw they offer 35 watt bulbs w/ the black mamba from langston motorsports for a little more $

Will a 50W halogen melt the harnesses? If not, I'd just go to Lowes and get a 50W bulb.

Ive heard it would.... maybe someone knows an option for harness upgrades? That might be cheaper than retrofitting for HID.