Sign in to follow this  

Yet another DR650 50/50 or 70/30 tire question

But with a twist. I did a search specifically looking for comments on wet weather performance and did not find much. Up here in Seattle, a tire that performs well in the wet is a must.

I am looking for a 50/50 or 70/30 street tire. Primarily for pavement and slabbing but with some gravel/mud and Forest Service roads thrown in. The DR650 is too heavy for me to take it on the gnarly singletrack dirt trails. That is why I have the mountain bikes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

But with a twist. I did a search specifically looking for comments on wet weather performance and did not find much. Up here in Seattle, a tire that performs well in the wet is a must.

I am looking for a 50/50 or 70/30 street tire. Primarily for pavement and slabbing but with some gravel/mud and Forest Service roads thrown in. The DR650 is too heavy for me to take it on the gnarly singletrack dirt trails. That is why I have the mountain bikes.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a set of Pirelli M/T 90 AT tires on order...they are billed as beign a 70-30% tire, but reviews peg them as being more 85-15%...Once they are mounted and I have put a few miles on them, I will do a full reveiw...stay tuned...

i've never used Kenda 270 on my DR but I have them on my plated CRF230F and i had them on my DRZ400S. These tires are great 50/50 tires. They're inexpensive and are acceptable on wet pavement as long as you don't go crazy on the throttle or the corners. Off road the hook up very well. When my deathwings get long in the tooth on my 09DR650, these are what I'll use use for replacements.

TKC's rock on and off road. There's a thread on the dual sport forum where the opinion seems to be an MT-21 up front and a 606 rear.

K270 rears are decent, but just stay away from the 270 front ... x10 in the wet! They are squirmy under the best conditions.

Right now I have a K270 rear and a Duro Median front (just too lazy to install the Median rear tire) Believe it or not, it's a decent combo in most situations except for mud. But when I can afford it I'll probably go back to the TKCs.

Oh yeah, Chen Shin 858's seem to do really well, they grip well everywhere. The mileage is a little on the low side, but they are cheap, so keeping fresh rubber on the bike isn't a bank breaker.