Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 needs choke all the time

Hi there - bear with me. I have the mechanical aptitude of a crab tied up in chains.

Just bought a DRZ400 on the recommendation of a friend - finding my biggest problem is that it needs choke far too much. If I stop even for a few minutes - it needs choke again. The workshop I use tell me its a characteristic of the bike. I've had CRF before and an EXC - never had this problem. Could it be the carburettor ? The bike is by the way nearly new. I think a 2007 model but with almost no hours on it.

Thanks,

Andy

Try and richen up the mixture on the pilot screw it should turn anti clockwise for richer it is on most bikes but a few are the other way round.

If that has no efect check the pilot jet is clean.

Hi there - bear with me. I have the mechanical aptitude of a crab tied up in chains.

Just bought a DRZ400 on the recommendation of a friend - finding my biggest problem is that it needs choke far too much. If I stop even for a few minutes - it needs choke again. The workshop I use tell me its a characteristic of the bike. I've had CRF before and an EXC - never had this problem. Could it be the carburettor ? The bike is by the way nearly new. I think a 2007 model but with almost no hours on it.

Thanks,

Andy

Your problem sounds similar to the problem I just had. I was told by the good folks on this forum that I need to clean out the pilot jet so I did and problem solved.

think about getting a jet kit since you are in the carb anyway, then either you will get a new pilot jet with the kit, or buy a new one on the side.