Sign in to follow this  

Advice on new clutch for 525 2007

Anyone have a preference to who to use for clutch parts?

I don't race but after putting like 50 hours on my the clutch is slipping and want to replace it.

I was thinking Hinson but have seen stuff on ebay for 80 bucks also need advice was told to get heavy duty springs and new metal and friction plates just a clutch plate gasket and some oil?

looking forward to some real world advice!

Don't have any input on what to buy but......

Needing to rebuild the clutch after only 50 hours is not normal! IMO something is going on if your having a problem with that low hours. Not normal wear.

What type of riding/terrain and gearing?

Bruce

It has a lot of whirrng at initial clutch engagement especially under high load I ride in a lot of mud and hills have had it buried in water but oil showed no signs of water inside.

any advice if i pull the clutch on what to look for?

They can squeal a little during engagement at times which is normal. KTM clutches have done it for years including the older LC4 motors.

Are you sure it is slipping or are you concerned about the noise? Not saying you don't have a problem but needing a new clutch after just 50 hours (with dirt gearing) I have just never herd of before. I have a 525 with 250 hours and 5500 miles and no hint of clutch wear or slippage.

I assume you have geared down to something reasonable like 14/48.

Bruce

The noise is the concern, I have searched for solutions and I found a suggestion of drilling holes in my clutch basket to let more oil in! So the answer is NO slippage just noise... no concern?? then I will let it go

The noise is the concern, I have searched for solutions and I found a suggestion of drilling holes in my clutch basket to let more oil in! So the answer is NO slippage just noise... no concern?? then I will let it go

I think they fixed that in '06. Changing oil brands would be something to try. Our older bikes will squeal in the tight stuff with a lot of trail time.

I have an 06, it has 8000+ mi on it. I got it used and it squealed when I got it with 6000mi. I went thru this too. It is normal, mot a problem, never got worse and didnt get better when I did what guys said to do.

What to do is, take clutch plates out, check for them being flat and not warped. Replace individual plates with stock KTM parts. Each year of KTM had a different thickness of plates so be sure to get right ones. If all is ok then lightly surface sand the plates to give them a textured finish knocking any glaze off. Re-assemble and ride. I did this, no warped plates, sanded, and rode it. It did the same squeal and Im still riding it with original stock plates today.