Sign in to follow this  

Best Bottom end

I just blew my bottom end on my 2007 crf250r at 70.4 hours. that means i need a new crank. what is your recomendations as far as best product? oem, wiseco, hotrods? i am also doing a top end and fresh valves and cam chain. thank you! any other recomendations?

I have an extra Wiseco complete bottom end kit if your interested, includes all gaskets and seals for the bottom end along with the crank and bearings.

I've never use the HotRod stuff because one of the old timers at my local Kawasaki shop said they were a problem waiting to happen. This being because HotRod came from China (I think) and not made with the same steel (lacking minerals) OEM or American parts were, there for, they were softer and didn't last. He states he installed brand new cranks that knocked from the first kick. This is the reason I use OEM as much as possible.

Hope that helps, bro!! I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Edited by motodogg01

I used a hotrod crank/connecting rod in my old RM250 when the bottom end went and I had no problems with durability or knocking. I'm not sure where it was made or if they are produced somewhere else now but it seemed like pretty solid craftsmanship to me. Other then that I've never had to replace a crank so I have no insight into other companies bottom end parts. If I were to replace the crank in my current bike I would go with OEM parts unless aftermarket parts were significantly cheaper.

I've used stock cranks, rebuilt stock cranks with pro-x rod and bearing, hot rods, and Wiseco. I've had the most success with the Weisco. I couldn't find one fot the 08 we have and settled for the hot rod. This is the first one I've put in my kids bike, so it hasn't blown up yet and we're on about 25 hrs right now. The stock rebuild with the pro-x stuff lasted 35 hrs. I think it was a defective bearing, but the guy wouldn't stand behind it, so I won't reccommend it.

after doing rebuilds often, i tend to find oem products always seem the best.

Until we owned 2, 2009 Honda’s I had always agreed with the above theory. Our 450 crank let go at 45hrs, and our 250 at considerably less. This seems premature to me. I have known many Honda owners running OEM cranks for 2 plus years, so it seems Honda has changed its parts source to a lower quality supplier. We bought Honda’s for their perceived durability/reliability. At this point I am less than thrilled.

There is some interesting reading about Crankshaft construction at the Hot Rods web site: http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cFAQ.view&faqcategoryid=23

I have an extra Wiseco complete bottom end kit if your interested, includes all gaskets and seals for the bottom end along with the crank and bearings.

is it new? like bran new? why dont you need it? how much?

I'm less than satisified with the OEM crank. I personally have had nothing but issues with them and have heard the same from numerouse others. A lot of factors go into why they granade. If they're ridden hard, regardless of how well you keep up on the maintenance, eventually they're going to go bad. That's why you hear about people with over 200 hours on them and guys that have only 30 hours on them. The lower rod bearing on the stock cranks are much weaker than the aftermarket. That's what usually goes bad.

is it new? like bran new? why dont you need it? how much?

Yes, its brand new never even out of the box. I mistakenly ordered 2 and don't need the 2nd one. Sent you a pm.

I'm less than satisified with the OEM crank. I personally have had nothing but issues with them and have heard the same from numerouse others. A lot of factors go into why they granade. If they're ridden hard, regardless of how well you keep up on the maintenance, eventually they're going to go bad. That's why you hear about people with over 200 hours on them and guys that have only 30 hours on them. The lower rod bearing on the stock cranks are much weaker than the aftermarket. That's what usually goes bad.

When the lower bearing cage lets go it makes a mess. You can almost always kiss your cases, piston, and cylinder, good by, due to the tight clearences of the lower end.

Its Expen$ive

I hope your right about aftermark quality. I just ordered a hotrods crank and am replacing it as PM. We have unfortunately experienced what I described above.

I found an interesting youtube video about Wiseco quality. It seems the guy who posted it was less than happy about the tolerances/QC on the crank he rec’d from them.

When the lower bearing cage lets go it makes a mess. You can almost always kiss your cases, piston, and cylinder, good by, due to the tight clearences of the lower end.

Its Expen$ive

I hope your right about aftermark quality. I just ordered a hotrods crank and am replacing it as PM. We have unfortunately experienced what I described above.

I found an interesting youtube video about Wiseco quality. It seems the guy who posted it was less than happy about the tolerances/QC on the crank he rec’d from them.

Regardless of the manufacture, they're all prone to go south if you push it hard enough. I have used pretty much all of them. Personally, I like the quality of the Wiseco out of them all. I used the Hot Rod in my kids bike just because it sat for 3 months and the 08 Wiseco crank was still on backorder. I got tired of waiting and that's the only reason why I used the Hot Rod assembly. Hopefully it will hold up longer than I think! Only time will tell. Good luck!