Sign in to follow this  

Not enough power for led tail light with 35w headlight bulb

My 92 kx250 came with a headlight and tail light in a box, the bike is road registered.

Ive replaced the rear with an led tail light so it doesnt use alot of power, i assume the headlight it came with is from a kdx or something similar and has a 35w H4 bulb.

When using the headlight the tail light is really dim and pretty much useless, so i dont understand how the bike could have been used by the previous owner with a bulb instead of led at the rear as i guess it would be even dimmer.

Is it possible to get a smaller wattage H4 bulb but still be able to have enough light at night?

Shouldnt my kx250 with a lighting stator give out enough power to run a 35w headlight and tail light?

Thanks

I did some checking and found 60w lighting coild for the 99-01, but nothing for your '92.

I checked Ricky Stator's website and found stators for the Tecates, but there also nothing for yours.

Do google searches and ask around.

Mayme some other year KX/KDX 80/125/250 stator/flywheel might swap over.

The chaepest bet.....pull your stator and flywheel, hit some salvage yards, and start comparing which bikes use what.

like Old-Timer said, it may have a KDX stator set up on it. the cases are very close and i could see them being interchangeable.

Thanks for the replies.

I was hoping to be able to use the stator i have as it must have a lighting coil to be able to power a 35w bulb.

Will it not be possible to use say a 30w bulb so theres 5w to be able to power the tail light led? Or maybe even use a small battery for the tail light instead.

I think the best thing to do is use a small 9v or 12v battery for the tail light?

Does anyone know of a small 12v battery that will be good to use on a bike? I could use a drill battery but its abit big, and its only for an led tail light surely it cant use much power at all.

I thought about using a 12v camera battery but im not sure how long it will last as they are very small, one like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GP-27A-MN27-12V-Alkaline-Battery-First-Class-P-P_W0QQitemZ200435512000QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM?hash=item2eaae332c0

Thanks

You might be able to use a newer stator with the corresponding flywheel. Kawi didn't change the cases year to year. Your stock FW fit's 92-97, so they must have changed the FW after that? I have 98 stator/FW on my 2000 cases. I'm pretty sure the reason for the stator change in 98 was the advent of the powerjet and all the electronic B.S. to come.

I'd say use a 99-01 stator and a 99-01 FW, match up the wires using a schematic, and you'll be good to go. You should even have "extra" power since you're not running a powerjet or TPS.

Oh yeah, the crank is the same 92-01. I have a 2000 stator assembly if you want measurements.

Edited by Jeekinz

Thanks for all the replies,

Youre all saying about replacing the stator and flywheel but i dont understand why i would really need to do this when i must have a lighting coil fitted to the bike or surely it wouldnt be able to run a 35w headlight?

I did a little searching and lighting coils for a 92 kx250 are available:

http://www.dirtbikestore.co.uk/acatalog/DirtBikeStore_com_Lighting_Coils_194.html

What i dont understand is if i have a lighting coil fitted from either a kdx or aftermarket part could it only be enough to power a 35w bulb? The one on that link says about 50w.

I could buy an aftermarket coil in the link for fairly cheap if i have to, but i dont want to start swapping flywheels etc as you guys have mentioned.

Id really rather do the cheapest option and use a small battery if thats possible.

I was only saying that if you used a newer stator (coil) then you will probobly need to change the flywheel too since the part number changed in 98. It may have different diameters.

I would assume that if you had a proper stator already there should be no issue running a 35w headlight as well as a taillight. So you might not have a high enough output or stock stator or maybe the windings are bad.

Thanks Jeekinz sorry i wasnt having a go i was just explaining i dont want to be changing things if i dont have to thats all.

I agree i thought a stator with lighting coil would run 35w easily, but i dont think a stock one will be able to run 35w at all. The headlight works ok so i guess ill have a quick look at the stato but if i cant see anything wrong ill leave it alone.

Unless i want to spend abit of money i think a battery is the only option, small camera batteries are 27 amps (i think that mean 27 amps an hour?)

If thats right the tail light should last awhile as i guess its only about 5 amps.

5 amps at 12V = 60 watts... not close to what a tail light draws.

try 0.25 to 0.42 amp - maybe. that'll be around 3 to 5 watts, if they even draw that much.

Powerjet stators dont put out enough to power a 35w headlight and a LED tail. They put out around 25W total. 20w MR16 headlight and a LED rear is what I use with a Powerjet coil.

• Like 1

5 amps at 12V = 60 watts... not close to what a tail light draws.

try 0.25 to 0.42 amp - maybe. that'll be around 3 to 5 watts, if they even draw that much.

Whoops yep i meant 5 watts not amps!

Powerjet stators dont put out enough to power a 35w headlight and a LED tail. They put out around 25W total. 20w MR16 headlight and a LED rear is what I use with a Powerjet coil.

Is 20w enough power to use a headlight on the road at night though?

None of the aftermarket stators made for the newer KX's will power lights either despite the claims from there manufactures.

Surely thats not correct? Ive seen a few kx's with lighting kits running headlights, tail lights and horns.

Mikestator, Im guessing that you work for or are affiliated with Ricky Stator, do they offer anything or can they build a coil for the KXs? Ive had numerous Eline coils that have worked well, have you heard of any problems with them?

I try not to be a d!ck, but whether it's Micky, Ricky or Dicky stator you need to back up these comments. Why? won't an aftermarket work? What does work?...if anything.

None of the aftermarket stators made for the newer KX's will power lights either despite the claims from there manufactures.
Good luck!

Again, not being a d!ck, just asking for some facts or more info.

hey guys headlight runs directly off the stator and the tail light is normally run off a regulator/rectifier ...

I would check and see if the bike has had one of them installed and that it is good if it is there..........

L.E.D normally runs off DC power ...if you have doubts unplug the head light and see if the led works or even a standard 1157 bulb from autozone

reg/rec available at parts unlimited cataloge for $14

they also have nifty little brake light switches that fit between the banjo bolt and brake line