Sign in to follow this  

1980 yz 465

Hi, I just bought a 1980 yz465 from the 2nd owner who's owned it since 1983. Bike is in real nice shape I already have 2 basket case 465's a 80' and an 81'. What is the differance between the 80' and 81' thanks.

The rear wheel hubs are different, lighter on the 81, larger diameter forks on 81, frames are different, different airbox, longer shock res on 81, different porting on the 81, gold rims. Those are the major differences

If you have some stuff you want to sell let me know. I'm restoring a 1980 YZ465 and am always looking for good parts.

I guess I'll wake this thread up and see if anyone knows of some resources for identifying the year of this era Yams. I have a yellow 465, ser# starts with 4v4.

I think it's an IT, but unsure of details.

Any suggestions?

4V4 = YZ-465H.

H = 1981 model.

An IT-465H would be a 4V6.

is there any difference in the fames on different years of the yz465 because i have an 81 and i think the exaust pipe is bent because it wont mout up but i fugured there could be a chance that the frame is a different year, and also is there a difference beetween an it465 frame and a yz465 frame? and speaking of numbers will the number on the top of the motor identify year and make? because i have a 5 speed bottom end that is either some variation of the old 465s? thanks

The pipe mounts are the same. The only differences are the airbox is different so the frame mounts are different. The 81 monoshock has a longer resevoir so it mounts different too.

Did you check your frame # for 3R5? Are you sure you don't have a 400?

My vintage Frankenbike has a 1980 YZ465 chassis and it's been bottoming off some downhill jumps. I'm 200# and an intermediate rider and want a stiffer shock spring. What is the stock shock spring rate? Many internet searches came up empty. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

does anybody know why a shop would drill about a 3-4 mm wide 4-5 mm deep hole on the top inside of the jug?, im trying to put together my second 465 motor, ive had a motor running with it and it acts like it has fried rings with the hole, almost 100 percent of the power yet virtually no compression.can anyone help?

My vintage Frankenbike has a 1980 YZ465 chassis and it's been bottoming off some downhill jumps. I'm 200# and an intermediate rider and want a stiffer shock spring. What is the stock shock spring rate? Many internet searches came up empty. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

The stock spring rate is around 3.3. Race Tech has the spring rates figured out. Mine has a dual rate spring on it.

does anybody know why a shop would drill about a 3-4 mm wide 4-5 mm deep hole on the top inside of the jug?, im trying to put together my second 465 motor, ive had a motor running with it and it acts like it has fried rings with the hole, almost 100 percent of the power yet virtually no compression.can anyone help?

It might be a poor mans compression release. Tha was an old school trick. The compression fell off until the motor was running, then in theory, the piston was moving too fast to lose any compression. Where is the hole and how does it run?

Is there any marking on the cylinder that would indicate it was worked over by a performance company? I think thats what you got, a cylinder wall compression release.

Easy-off oven cleaner works great but just don't get it on any AL or it will take the finish off. Spray it on, wait a few min and wash off.

anybody know the best way to remove dirt and 2 stroke exaust gunk from the jug and head and prep them for painting?