09 Fuel Pump Question (need help)

Is there any way to test whether or not your fuel pump is working? I can't get my bike to fire up.

A little background.... I was motoing out yesterday and around 1 hour into the ride my bike began cutting out at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. It'd run fine in the lower RPM's but as soon as I gave it a handful it'd cut out.

I nursed it back to the rig then somebody else got on it and rode it around to try and diagnose the problem. They were also met with the same problems, the bike also died two times and was very hard to restart.

I brought the bike home, removed the pump from the tank, and did my best to clean out the filter (which had its share of dirt inside). I ordered a replacement filter last night. Nevertheless, I put everything back together and tried to restart the bike to no avail. I even tried to start it with a tow but it didn't ever come close to firing. This isn't my 1st time disassembling the pump etc... everything got put back together correctly. I checked my ground and tested for spark—all of that stuff checked out fine.

Could my pump have gone out? Is there a way to verify if it has?

did you make sure the red\black wires on the pump assembly are tight on the connectors. i know it sounds dumb but the smallest touch can knock them loose, also if you bumped it at all while putting it back in the tank (which is very common, you have to put it in on an angle just to get it in) you could of got one of those wires. definetley sounds like the filter was the problem while it was running. now it just sounds like a loose wire, bad fuel pump connection, etc. wait for eddie to tell you what to check if you havent already pulled the pump. i highly, HIGHLY suggest replacing the filter element with an OEM one from honda, they have updated the part. i also suggest you start filtering your fuel either from your can, or in your tank before it gets to the pump.

my bike was brand new , i had 1 minoe crash, and when i tested my pump it clicked on and off like it worked but did not pump enough had to replace it $400.00 for the pump and 50 for next day air. worked fine after that. 09 kx450f

The problem is dirty fuel. Filtering it will help, but pump fuel is dirty. Cut open your filter when it dries and look at all the dirt that is trapped in the layers of filtering media. Race fuel is much cleaner than pump fuel and will extend the intervals between filter changes, but replacing fuel filters is going to be a part of routine maint. The kit cost @30 bucks, 4 times a year isn't bad. Trying to clean the filter is pretty much pointless, there is no way your going to get it clean enough to use again.

E.