Sign in to follow this  

About to buy KX100

Hey guys,Before I buy a brand new 09 kx100 I have a couple questions, first Im not the fastest guy at all and will the kx100 overheat if I ride it slow,Second is there any things I should look for problems,etc thanks any info will be helpful thanks:ride:

No problems that stand out. They are a very good bike. You can ride these pretty darn slow and easy and not overheat. If you're worried about that, keep checking ebay for an oversize radiator from the turbo and intercooler guys. I got one for the 100 we used to have. Paid $90 for it. It was awesome. Fit perfect and the engine stayed so cool, you could touch the radiator after a race.

As long as the bike is moving, even a little bit, you're fine. If you get stuck in the mud and just sit there and wind it up trying to get out, you eat the mains. Like my son did. You'll just have to jet it a little leaner. The come rich, stock, and if you're not on the pipe periodically, you'll foul plugs. Drop the pilot 1 and the main 2. Which you'll have to do anyway.

SAPPERS so your son has a kx100no if I get stuck I get out I LOVE MUD and will the kx go over a year with little maintenence just wondering my dad has rode for 36 years and has macanic skills but which jets do you reccomend

he had one till about 3 weeks ago. We just sold it.

If you're not a fast rider, but soon will be, I guarantee it, you won't have any interanl issues. Just remeber, very frequent trans oil changes. Also if you're not on the pipe alot and get your jetting dialed in, Be sure to run 32:1. It'll keep the bottom end well lubricated.

I can suggest jetting but only you will be able to tell. Get some NGK BR8es plugs, they're cheap and the bike runs great on them. Take the pilot down 1 size and the main down 2. Start with a new plug and run it for about 3-5 min from cruisingt around to some wide open, up throught he gears, run. Pull the plug, take a looksee. Should be a nice chocolate brown or even still black but not gas-soaked wet. If it's a light tan or white, Take the pilot back up one and run the same plug to see if it richens up. Same procedure. If it's good then part 2...

Install new plug, run around for a minute or 2 and get to a place where you can get to atleast 3rd gear wide open, 4th or 5th is better. (be careful).

Do a WOT run. As soon as you arer about to let off the gas, pull in clutch and immediately kill the bike and let it coast to a stop. Pull plug, should be tan to black. White = go up 2 on main, tan = 1 up, brown to dry black = good. Wet = down 1 on main. If you start to foul plugs, stay on the pipe more

Oh and be sure to check out the FAQ section at the top of this 2 stroke section. There's some good info there, especially the jetting.