Sign in to follow this  

magic number for 08 race sag?

Hard packed to intermediate soil not sand, been messing with the sag a little and am curious what number work bets for other riders? I'm 5'8 175 not that it matters.

06 to 08 are the same chassis. With the forks up 11mm and correct springs front and rear, 102mm rear rider sag is a good starting point. Obviously with all your gear on and no binding in the rear link/arm bearings.

For MX track riding the usable range is only +/- 1mm, but as you'd know it makes a huge diff. With 2mm of sag change and for me the bars feel like they needed to be rolled fwd/back just to position my body where the bike turns naturally.

With different tracks, conditions, dampening, it can get frustrating, and you need to persist and experiment. Good luck...

thanks appreciate it, I don't like whre my body position ins to get the bike turning, the sweat spot so to speak. Pretty sure the sag is out, I'll check i and reset with a friend this weekend

You're welcome.

Pretty sure the sag is out, I'll check i and reset with a friend this weekend
Sounds like it. 11mm and 102mm are good starting points.

I like to adjust it to be slightly low in the rear. So on flat turns you just sit forward a little more to plant the front tire, and in rutted turns you can more lazily aim the front tire slightly to the inside of the rut, then as you lay the bike over and throttle open the whole bike kind of drifts in then the rear tire feeds itself. In loam this sensation often makes me wish I had a head cam videoing the rear fender. :thumbsup:

Try find turns or ruts without bumps so your fork rebound setting is not confusing the issue. Before giving up and going to another sag setting, consider experimenting with the rear LSC. Say it turns in nicely, but the rear slides out too much under power on exit, then you could try the LSC out 1 or 2 clicks. :ride:

I've got my front forks dropped 10mm and my rear sag set at 97 in the rear and I love it. I'm 5'8 and 160lbs...

similar wieght and size to me, lol your legs must be dangling around like a muppet no way can touch with both feet

similar wieght and size to me, lol your legs must be dangling around like a muppet no way can touch with both feet

Haha pretty close! I can tip toe the bike just enough..on the flat. I gotta choose my gates wisely tho. Usually end up bulding up a little dirt or using the..Cough.. blocks.. :thumbsup: