Sign in to follow this  

05 RMZ250 No Start - Fuel Issue???

I also posted this in the RMZ forum but I am thinking I might have fuel issues:

I am trying to get a 05 RMZ250 to start. The bike will fire and run for a couple or revolutions then it dies. To get it to fire I have to crack the throttle numerous times. So far I have checked the following:

Compression cold - 55 psi

Leak down test - 97%

Valve clearance - in spec, a little loose on the exhaust valve the decompression lever works on

Decompression lever - replaced

Spark plug is new, I have tried a couple different ones at this point

Ignition coil - primary coil resistance is right on the money, the secondary is giving a measure of 13 kohms, manual wants 10 kohms, I don't think this is an issue as I am getting a good spark and the bike does fire.

Fuel is fresh.

Carb - stripped it down and checked orifices and jets for clogging, it looked very clean. You can see the accelerator pump working correctly.

I am stumped and at a dead end, help!

its got a motor issue.

Where should I look. Is the compression too low? I thought that 97% was pretty good.

55psi compression and 97% leak?

needs to be more like 5% leak.

Sorry about that, it's holding 97%, so 3% leakage. And I know the 55 psi is a little low. The bottom of the spec with the engine warm is 62 psi. That is why I replaced the auto decomp lever.

ok,thats a different deal.

does it have spark?

Lots of spark, new plug (3rd one I have tried), coil primary resistance right on spec, secondary coil resistance a touch high 13 kohms versus 10.5 kohms fsm spec.