Sign in to follow this  

Would like some feed back.

Ok just bought my new KTM 2010 SX-F 450 and have ridden it twice. It's got about 1 hr on the motor. Suspension is good motor good, ect. Battery has died twice, recharged twice, probably needs a new one not a biggie. I weigh about 260 lbs, big guy not really fat, work out ect. Been racing for approximately 30 years and on nothing but Jap bikes, this is the 1st other brand. So far so good except for one very annoying thing this bike is doing. No matter hom many times I twist the throttle and I snap it quickly it stalls the motor, every single time, very very annoying, you can haer the air box pop, back fire, Dealer has already changed the main jet to a larger one didn't help. As any motorcrosser knows it you blip the throttle to get over a double or something and the motor dies your in real troulble. Any one else having this issue or do you all know what this may be? Dealer says break it in, I don't think so as it still doing it, I can make it happen at a twist of the throttle. Also the front springs are rated up to a 240 lb rider according to my dealer, the rear I know I have to go to a heavier spring, any suggestios here.

Thanks...

No, played with the idle adjustement a bit though. Could it not be a fuel excelarator problem?

Also anyone heard of the e-start kicking back when the bike doesn't start, like a loud clanking noise. God I hope I didn't get a lemon.

My 09 took a while to break-in and it didn't run well until it was well broken in. It usually takes 6-10 hrs before it really gets right. Also, the JD jetting kit does wonders. My 09 is over a year old now and I had my first problem with my battery the other day. It was cold and my bike had sat 3 weeks without riding. It was turning over too slow to start and I had to charge it. A Turn Tech battery is on my to buy list.

If you havent adjusted the fuel screw that is step one. A after market one that you can adjust makes life much easier. A brass one is prefered.

JD Jet kit, I have never got any of my KTM's to run well without one...that me personally but they work. I thought on the 2010 they put a leak jet in but dont know for sure, if not the R&D or Merge unit is a must along with a easy to sue fuel screw. Just the same as others have said but this works.

Battery shouldnt be dying. But if I leave my bike sitting for more than week it goes on a charger.

Suspension, your manual should tell you what springs are in it and if they support your weight, I doubt it though, get on KTM talk and ask around if you dont get the answer here, also call a few suspension guys and ask.

I third or fourth the motion on the JD kit. These KTMs have lame owner manuals. There aren't any jetting tables published. Instead of chasing my tail, I just sprung for the kit and have been happy ever since. My 08' did similar things that yours is before I went with the kit. On the 08's the accel pump gives too much fuel, making it boggy, killing confidence. The JD kit limits the diaphram stroke with an add on to the diaphram rivet. Anyways, you could easily spend $75 in brass chasing your tail without any jetting tables, I'd just go with JD. BTW, if you're a Japanese convert, you're gonna love these bikes. I tore mine down this winter after a race season and I'm happy to say that the engines are truely bullet proof. I tried out a FMF mega bomb this afternoon riding and it's proven to be a nice improvement. It boosted the bottom end a little, lets the motor turn over quicker, and didn't seem to affect the beautiful mid and up pull.

The 2010 450 has a leak jet. Put the bigger battery in for the winter. It makes a difference for cold weather starting. You should have gotten an extra battery and box when you bought your bike.

JD Jet kit, I have never got any of my KTM's to run well without one...that me personally but they work. I thought on the 2010 they put a leak jet in but dont know for sure, if not the R&D or Merge unit is a must along with a easy to sue fuel screw. Just the same as others have said but this works.

Battery shouldnt be dying. But if I leave my bike sitting for more than week it goes on a charger.

Suspension, your manual should tell you what springs are in it and if they support your weight, I doubt it though, get on KTM talk and ask around if you dont get the answer here, also call a few suspension guys and ask.

Just because it has a leak jet doesn´t mean it´s sized correct stock.

The adj. LJ by any brand name manufacturer makes a big difference if,of course, correctly adjusted. The JD kit is mandatory. Once you´ve sorted that out the bike will neither cough and die nor will it hesitate.

For your weight at least 8.4 but most probably 8.8 rear spring is needed to get the sag numbers correct. You´ll also need .52s front.