Sign in to follow this  

Chain stretch question

I suppose I had my chain adjusted to tight or barely to tight, I noticed after my last ride that included some small air time and hard hits that it was a fair bit looser then when I started the ride.

So what's the dealio there, can I adjust it up or should I replace the chain sooner then later. I run 15/50 gearing, what the ideal chain length and type to run. My local supplier offers a few options.

What is the first number representing?

For example.. DID o-ring chain 420-110 links. or 428,520 etc etc..

Then of course theres V series, VT, ZVM2 and so on

I suppose I had my chain adjusted to tight or barely to tight, I noticed after my last ride that included some small air time and hard hits that it was a fair bit looser then when I started the ride.

So what's the dealio there, can I adjust it up or should I replace the chain sooner then later. I run 15/50 gearing, what the ideal chain length and type to run. My local supplier offers a few options.

What is the first number representing?

For example.. DID o-ring chain 420-110 links. or 428,520 etc etc..

Then of course theres V series, VT, ZVM2 and so on

Are you sure the axle nut was tight and the axle has not move forwards?

Service limits: 21 pins 319.4mm

DID 520VM X ring, Don,t know how many links with your gearing.

Pretty sure it didn't move forward.. although I did stop using the cotter pin on the same run. What's the 520 stand for?

Pretty sure it didn't move forward.. although I did stop using the cotter pin on the same run. What's the 520 stand for?

You should torq it, 520 is what yours takes, I belive it's the size of the links.

Yeah I'm going to tighten it and run it for a few more rides, I just bought a pit bike so I'm kinda on the cheap for a few months.

Yeah I'm going to tighten it and run it for a few more rides, I just bought a pit bike so I'm kinda on the cheap for a few months.

I hear Ya, Keep an I on your chain things happen.

Chainlink.jpg

Yeah I saw that a few days ago...

Mine has way more where then that one, but I do check it before every ride.

Chain numbers refer to pitch and width. 520 is 5/8 pitch (distance pin to pin) and 1/4 wide (thickness of the sprocket teeth). The sprocket is actually thinner for clearance. 530 is 5/8 by 3/8. All the rest of the mumbo jumbo is brand specific.

Thanks that makes a little more sense.

Although I was told an easy way to tell if the chain is toast tonight.

Adjust for proper tension.

stand the bike up, pull the chain at the 3 o'clock postion on the rear sprocket.

Put a light behind it.

If you can see light, it's done.

Replace it.

Seems like science to me.

But it's going to have to wait for another month or two.