Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

What are the differences between the 99-02 125's and 250's....

As far as frame, suspension...etc go, are there any differences between the 125 and the 250's?

I am gonna do a KX500 hybrid when I get back from the "sandbox" and I know the 250 works great, but what about the 125?

I can only speak with any accuracy on the 250s. From '99-'01, there are only minor changes to ignition curves, porting, pipe, and jetting. '02 received some significant upgrades.

The front brake master cylinder and caliper was redesigned for a more solid feel and better power, and the pistons were changed to aluminum.

The brakes were a big improvement over past Kawaski's mushy brakes.

The forks were upgraded from the older 46mm open-bath design to the 48mm bladder forks, and the shock received very different valving from previous years, and longer pull rods, which steepened the steering head angle and improved front-end bite in turns. The forks were a big improvement, and the shock is excellent at maintaining wheel contact with the ground under acceleration. The suspension is very plush and forgiving, although a bit soft for big landings unless you're a pretty light rider.

The ignition was changed to the new "twin-spark" system, the power valve was changed to a two-piece design, and the top three gears were made taller. Low-end and midrange torque were (in my opinion) much improved over the '00-'01 engines, but still not back to the level of the '97-'98's monster low-end. But the power is super-smooth and supremely controllable, although it really likes a heavier flywheel. But the power has to suit your style or you won't like it. it's a low-to-mid engine, with very little on top, so you have to ride it in the meat of the torque curve. If you like to scream your engines, you won't like this one. It suits me perfectly.

The handlebars got a straighter bend, and the foot pegs were changed to stainless steel from mild carbon steel.

The stock graphics were made thicker, and were textured. They were very durable. I still have the stock graphics on my '02.

Im just wondering if the only difference between the 125 and 250's is the powerplant and if everything else is the same(fram and suspension)

The frames are different. You can't use a 125 frame without major frame modifications. You can fit a 500 into a 250 chassis though, many have done it.

the engine cradle in the frame is smaller on a 125 and less of an L shape, compared to the 250. the swingarm is longer on the 250, by how much i dont know, maybe 8-12mm. i would suggest the 250 frame