Sign in to follow this  

05 rmz450 1/2 throttle studder after rebuild

I have an 05 rmz450 that the cases were cracked. The bike ran great other than this. I replaced the cases and did a complete rebuild. The throttle cables were fraying so I also replaced them. That was the only thing I did with the carb. 3 weeks later I now everythign finished but Now what im getting is a 1/2 throttle studder/cutting out feeling, but it is only there when i hold steady around a sweeping corner or cruising down a straight at steady throttle. I have it jetted richer because its below 30 degrees on the ice. At that point I had a 45 pilot jet, 170 main, fuel screw at 1 1/2 turns out. So from there I lowered the needle (raised the clip) and it ran much better but the problem still is present. I want to lower the needle one more notch but i took a look at the plug and it is definitely more white than it should be.

I am very confused with this and I am not sure what esle to do. The bike runs like it is rich at half throttle but the plug is showing very lean. I am hesitant to lower the needle one more because of this. What could I possibly be missing? The bike starts in one kick and run amazing everywhere else besides cruising steady 1/2 throttle. I have double checked cam timing, cleaned the carb and made sure all electrical connections are good.

Edited by ben782

After playing around with the jetting, figuring I have nothing to lose, I now have the correct plug color: light chocolate color. But the bike still runs like it did before. I now have 165 main jet, 45 pilot jet, 1 1/4 turn fuel screw and needle is one clip richer than stock. Today it is about 40 degrees.

I've got an 05 and 06, and they both run best when jetted very close to 07 stock (42 PJ 170 MJ NCYR needle clip #3, fuel screw 2 turns out). In colder weather a 45 pilot helps with cold starting. If you're running the needle on clip #5, that sounds rich enough to cause your 1/2 throttle stutter - try #4 then #3 and see which produces the best midrange power and responsiveness.

Thanks I will definitely give that a shot. Would you worry about plug color if I got it to run good in that rpm range. When I was getting closer the plug seemed to be getting pretty white?

Eddie - are you refering to just replacing it with a new oem needle jet? I dont think they come in different ranges thats why im asking. I obviously know the jet needles come in different ranges.

Thanks again!