Sign in to follow this  

would you buy an 05???

I was just curious if you guys would buy an 05 yz250 for the right price?? i know the forks are not as good as the 06 but i'm sure i can find some 06 forks so was just curious what you thought of the 05 besides that. Thanks for all replies.

or would you buy an 06 for a little bit more. the 05 looks cleaner but the 06 is only 200 dollars more.

For the shortness of money they're going for, there's no compelling reason to NOT choose the '06 and its much better fork. Spend the money saved on updating the forks on a fresh top end?

ok, would an 06 be worth 2600??? It has new top end, cylinder and new seals in forks and shocks. seems like a good deal but just wanting opinions. never had a 250 2t or hardly ridden one. thanks

ok, thanks guys i know i'm asking a lot of questions lately but spending this much money i just want all the info i can find.

thanks again.

ok, thanks guys i know i'm asking a lot of questions lately but spending this much money i just want all the info i can find.

thanks again.

Definitely look at both bikes. If the 05 is fresher - get it and add forks later. WR-F or even YZ-F forks work too so there's lots out there available. You can prolly talk the 05 guy down more too. :thumbsup:

Talk to a good suspension guy and you might be surprised what a good valving can do. I know a few guys that like the thinner 46mm forks better. Make sure the difference really matters otherwise you might be fretting over something that doesn't matter that much in the end. A good tuner could probably make 05 suspension work nicely.

Talk to a good suspension guy and you might be surprised what a good valving can do. I know a few guys that like the thinner 46mm forks better. Make sure the difference really matters otherwise you might be fretting over something that doesn't matter that much in the end. A good tuner could probably make 05 suspension work nicely.

Very true. The 48mm came to the YZ250 in 2004.

Alot of people talk about the 05 forks like it's a HUGE deal between the 06, it is only depending on what you ride. If your a track guy then yea, the 06 is the way to go, or at least get the 05 and get yourself some 06 forks down the road.

If your like me and you hit the trails and woods, then the 05 forks are fine, I'm doing well with mine.

I've ridden the '06 and '08 and I own an '02.

The 06+ forks are worlds better than a stock 02-04.

My '02 with RG3 revalve and stiffer springs is better than a stock 08 for sure.

I'm a track guy.

I like my 05 also. When it was time for fork seals, I had my local guy take some of the initial hit out of the compression dampening. The forks seem to work as well or better than my friend's 08 crf 450 (according to both him and me) so I guess they are OK. I do both MX and rough singletrack with it and have no complaints with the suspension. I do wish it turned a little better but I understand all yz 250 are like that.

thanks for all replies guys i really appreciate it. i think i'm gonna call the guy with the 06 when i get back from vacation and hopefully he still has it. thanks again.

Add me to that list. The forks on my 01, which were completely dialed in for me, were worlds better than the 05 fork. I cannot see how any stock fork is going to be better than a revalved and reworked fork from a competent suspension tuner.

on the other hand, I ride offroad only (desert) and no stock fork will be good for my fat ass. They all would need to be redone and it wouldn't matter which one I started with.

My thought is that an 05 revalved fork is the same as an 06 revalved fork which is the same as the 01 revalved fork.

I agree with whats been said. The extra 200.00 up front is a non issue on a bike you are keeping for a while. If I found an 04 with oem chain and tires...one of the scared myself silly bikes, I would throw it in the mix as well.

No, because it is newer. Again, if that 05 if low hours and less money he should buy it.

Well I would agree. However, in another two years or so, I think there's no real difference in the price of the 05 and 06 bikes.

$200 isn't a make or break amount for a bike you'll keep for a few years. I agree that the one with the least number of hours is the one to get.