Sign in to follow this  

Tell me why a '09 YZ250F will NOT work for a fat guy

Prices are falling. :lol: $3,990 to be exact (prior to fees) :ride:. I figure I will pick one up and move over some of my mods from my '07 YZ250 smoker. Chain guide, suspension, shark fin (prolly won't fit due to the larger axle), cycra pro bends, behind the footpeg kickstand (if it will fit?), devol radiator guards/braces (if they'll fit?), sprockets, extra brake pads, 1" bar risers, and air filters. Yes, I would then sell the smoker.

So my first question is, who here rides a newer 250F AND is fat? 6'2" and 250 lbs actually. :lol:

And the second one is should I just spend a grand more and get a 2009 YZ450F instead? Appears to only be 12 lbs. more but I like riding a bike closer to its maximum than only 1/3 throttle and scared to push it in the technical sections. Total woods single track use only. Tight trails. No open anywhere. Prolly won't ever see 4th gear. What say you? :thumbsup:

I don't know about 09 YZ250F's but I weigh 230, 5'10" and ride a 05 WR250. It has zero problems haulin my fat butt around :thumbsup:. I ride everything from wide open jeep trails to tight single track.

A heavier 450 is not going to get you thru tighter stuff any better than a 250 will.

• Like 1

Sounds fine for the riding you do...Just wouldn't want to hill climb it, or ride it in dunes...But sounds like your smoker is a good fit for you, too. And it's set up the way you like, and will sell for cheap...I'd say keep it until it's not worth putting the maintenance cost into it...Maybe by then you'll have ridden a few other bikes and really know what you want/need.

I do some very long mtn grade climbs but no "hillclimbs" as in whoa it's a challenge just to clear this. Never rode dunes and never will. Got quite a few bites on my '07 because it has a plate. Was asking 3700 and some were ga-ga for it. Plated dirt bikes are over-rated IMO.

the sprockets and air filters will definetley swap over but i dont know about the other stuff...i weigh 230 and just ride tracks and the yz250f does great for me...i just sold my 06 yz250 because i had to make a choice between which one to keep due to the economy and i chose the 4 stroke mainly because of my age and i feel to be in more control of it when i get tired...but dang i miss the 2 stroke rush i get but i was never as fast on lap times as i am on my 250f...i rode a buddies 06 yz125 today and it was fun but man it has no torque compared to the 250f and 250t...there is no way i could climb anything with the 06 yz125 at my weight but its a blast to play around with:ride:

I am 6' 4" tall and weigh 246 pounds, i have an 03 wr250f and have no issues with the bike in the woods. 4 strokes are an acquired taste if you were used to smokers.

The hot setup for the smoker is the Rekluse clutch. Buddy of mine has '05, 14X50 gearing with Rekluse and he is 6'4" 255 and he hauls on it. Plus with that clutch he can motor up any hill or rocky place he chooses with ease. I'd keep what I had since it has more power and just add the Rekluse.

The hot setup for the smoker is the Rekluse clutch. Buddy of mine has '05, 14X50 gearing with Rekluse and he is 6'4" 255 and he hauls on it. Plus with that clutch he can motor up any hill or rocky place he chooses with ease. I'd keep what I had since it has more power and just add the Rekluse.

Ya, it's got a rekluse. It's nice. Very nice. Just sick of the smoke and spooge and even the sound. I know. Petty complaints. :thumbsup:

Semi fat guy, 6'4 230(ish) :thumbsup: and riding an 08 YZ250F. Just make sure you setup the suspension to you. I have 0 problems with my bike an am getting my suspension setup now (After I broke my foot last season because I didn't do it earlier.).

The YZ is a solid bike all the way around.

Took the Enduro Enginering shark fin from my 08 and had it bored out by a friend for the larger 09 axel, works fine.

• Like 1

Im a little lighter than you weighing in at about 170 but i have an 09 YZ250F and i think you would be fine on it. I bought mine brand new and i haev loved it. The bike has a ton of power and its great in the woods. Youll be ok i think. Just make sure to set up your suspension.

Im a little lighter than you weighing in at about 170 but i have an 09 YZ250F and i think you would be fine on it. I bought mine brand new and i haev loved it. The bike has a ton of power and its great in the woods. Youll be ok i think. Just make sure to set up your suspension.

Thanks, I will actually try a ride or two with my YZ250 suspension moved over. It's valved for woods and sprung for oversize loads.

OK, didn't know you had the Rekluse already on there. I understand about the pre-mix. Sometimes I ride smoker with friend who rides that, then ride 4-stroker with friend who rides that. You'll be fine with the 250. The 450 is a handfull and will tire you out quicker where the lighter 250 is just plain more fun to ride.

Where do I get a 2009 YZ250F for $3990?????:lol:

Ride motorsports in Woodinville WA (via local Seattle CL ad) or Heinen's in Minnesota somewhere. :thumbsup:

I just got a mint 2007 YZ250F with low hours and great mods for $2,500 instead. Ride wanted to charge me $1,100 in fees and tax. :ride:

Heinen's sold a new 2009 Husky TXC250 for $3,800 to a friend of mine here. They charged practically zero in fees and then charged $400 to ship to Seattle. Here's their 2009 YZ250F for $3,999.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-YZ-YZ-250-F-2009-YAMAHA-YZ-250-F-BRAND-NEW_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem58865f0b9dQQitemZ380211497885QQptZUSQ5fmotorcycles

Yeah, be careful with that ebay add... I'd definitely want to know exactly what this part in the fine print of the auction means:

"**** This price is after all promotions and rebates. **** "

Yeah, be careful with that ebay add... I'd definitely want to know exactly what this part in the fine print of the auction means:

"**** This price is after all promotions and rebates. **** "

Call them. They're a motorcycle dealer. It took me seconds to find out what Ride wanted to charge me OTD. Irregardless, the price paid on eBay is final. They list the fees they need with each sale too. :thumbsup:

There's no catch. The dealers around Oh, Mi, and Pa advertise that as well. That is just letting you, the customer, know that all factory insentives go to the dealer so someone doesnt come in and expect the dealer to sell it for $3999 and then demand to get the factory rebate off that price.

Im not sure what's left in dealer stock but 08 yz250f were selling for $3499 + tax/title=OTD, 09 yz250f for $3999 + tax/title=OTD. Those prices started almost a full year ago in my area. There's no catch.

• Like 1