Sign in to follow this  

Change sprocket setup for 04 YZ250F

Hi folks,

At the end of last season I came across a good deal on this bike and bought it. Other than riding it up and down the street a few times, I really haven't had a chance to test it out on the trails in my area - which are pretty technical, wooded and rocky (and covered with snow for now). About myself, I've been riding for four years and just "graduated" up to this bike from my last one, my starter bike - 03' CRF 230. While I'm definitely more comfortable on a bike, I'm still cautious but far less apprehensive about some of the more difficult terrain. I know the YZ250F is more for motocross than trails, so I want to do a few things to make it more manageable on the trails, so I figured starting with the sprockets is the first step. On the bike now, sprocket combination is 13/48. I've read a bunch of threads with a variety of recommendations, so I'm torn. I'd like to get some thoughts on what I should do for my bike. Not sure what other details would be helpful.

Here's my bike. THANKS

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=19574

To be more specific, I'd like the bike to be more manageable at lower speeds, perhaps making the lower gears a bit taller.

If you're wanting it to be more like the CRF230 and do rock crawling, its the wrong tool, stick with the CRF. But if you want to make it work, here's what guys around here are doing to theirs. 13X50/51/52 gearing, or go with 12X51/52 gearing with WR250F tranny. Add a GYTR flywheel with more weight, makes it more like the WR, harder to stall out, more tractable. Add a Rekluse clutch. By far the most tractable mod you can do. The 2 stroke guys around here use this and gear up to 14T front sprocket, but they have more power to start with. Good luck.

Thanks ronbuell. I was definitely looking to step things up a bit when I moved on from CRF. I was figuring along the lines of a WR250F as my next bike, but just couldn't pass up the deal I got. I work with some guys who've been riding the trails and at the track for awhile so I'm sure eventually I'll give the track a spin.

Going from the 230, I'll also need to figure out how to set the sag and adjust the suspension for my height and weight on this bike (6'2", 200lbs), but I'll explore that forum for ideas. Of course I'll take suggestions as well! thanks

At 6'2" and 200, you might explore new springs, especially if you plan to run on a track much. Buddy of mine runs an 06 with stock springs, he's over 215, and says it too soft, but he trail rides it, with only a little track use. Biggest thing is getting the rear sag right. Then adjust from there. Good luck.