Sign in to follow this  

Hard starting? 2008 1/2 RMZ450

2008 1/2 450Z owners: how many kicks does it take to start your bike? It always takes me at least a dozen.

No, i don't think the valves are out of tolerance - bought the bike as a leftover,

bike is essentially brand-new (after sitting on the dealer floor for a year.)

Could the valves be out, stright off the showroom floor? Or could something else need some TLC.....

First start of the day takes quite a few kicks. Kicking it over charges the electrical system to allow the electronic fuel injection to operate. After that, only one or two kicks. Make sure you are kickinng from top dead center. Don't kick it like a 2 stroke.

yeah a few kicks. Take full strokes all the way from the top. if not , jumped timing also makes it hard to start.

How many hours are on the bike? My '08.5 was a very hard starter until I hit about 5 hours, but even after 5 hours when it was cold it was sometimes a 3 to 7 kicker. When it was hot and in netrual it only needed one.

from cold start i twist my throttle 2 times(although i dont think that does anything since its FI?) kick with choke on until its gives that first kind instance that its about to start, then i take the choke off, kick it about 2 more times and shes running :thumbsup::banana:

so id say about 5 kicks and she running

I don't wanna hijack your thread, but you do know that there is a maintenance cable into which you could attach a battery?

Has anyone of the hard starters ever tried to connect a battery to see if the starting spark would be stronger and thus a better starter?

I'm thinking about permanently hooking up a 600 grams lead battery in order to light my GPS and roadbook. In the same time it could feed the ECU because I happen to have a ignition key at my RMZ.

I also have a headlight which is always on, which could make it hard to start.

I don't wanna hijack your thread, but you do know that there is a maintenance cable into which you could attach a battery?

Has anyone of the hard starters ever tried to connect a battery to see if the starting spark would be stronger and thus a better starter?

I'm thinking about permanently hooking up a 600 grams lead battery in order to light my GPS and roadbook. In the same time it could feed the ECU because I happen to have a ignition key at my RMZ.

I also have a headlight which is always on, which could make it hard to start.

Concerning your head light, wire in a switch to keep headlight off during start up. Works for me.

I am really new to the 4 stroke world mainly because I was afraid of having to start the beasts. when I first got my RMZ it was my worst nightmare and was somewhat regretting it, but I turned the idle/choke knob one turn to the left and it starts second kick everytime when its cold and first when hot as long as your at tdc..

I also had a question about maybe it not starting for woods riders as fast when its hot because of the sensors on it? its trying to cool down before runnig anymore maybe Im wrong idk?