Sign in to follow this  

Rear supsension sagging

I have and 05 kx250.I put my bike up for the winter, cleaned it and ran out the fuel tank. Well it has been sitting up for about 2 months when i decided I wanted to do a little riding and I noticed the seat was way low( The bottom part of the number plate covers up the rear tire about 3 inches). When i sit on it it feels like it is only compressing about 3 inches and then comes to a hard stop like it is bottoming. I put it on my jack and the rear shock stretched out to normal length after about 3-4 hours. It will then sit at normal height but if i sit on it, it will compress and stay down.

One person told me that it had to do with my rebound, another told me that model was known for the linkage locking up.

Thanks for your time.

Take the rear shock out and cycle the suspension. It should move easily. Probably had dirt/water in the bearings before you put it away and now they have rusted. ALL bikes need this, not just your model. It should be done a couple of times a year minimum. If the linkage/swingarm is ok, it is possible your shock is very low on pressure and it is not returning, but I would bet on the bearings. Hope that helps.:thumbsup:

I have the manual and tools to take it out, but what do you mean by

Cycle the suspension: Moving the suspension through it's stroke without the shock. You will be able to feel any binding or tight spots, which would indicate bad/tight bearings.:thumbsup: