Sign in to follow this  

Dented exhaust pipe

After taking my 400E exhaust can/pipe off yesterday, I noticed the pipe is fairly well dented at one point, maybe squashing into the pipe by a 3rd of it's diameter

Will this affect the running of the engine much? Or can I just ignore this until I can afford a full system.

if its on the header ,fill it up with water and freeze it ,no need to cap it off

repeat until det is gone

if its on the header ,fill it up with water and freeze it ,no need to cap it off

repeat until det is gone

Does this really work? LOL? With out sealing it off? Im about to put my fmf powerpomb header in the freezer

my buddy trashed his wr450 header and used this method ,i took 4 or 5 times ,but afterward you could barely tell where it had been bent.

I just fill the header with water and sit it in the freezer. going to do it now.

after 2 days it hasnt decreased much at all. Should I find a way to cap the ends?

I cap the ends,,, but CAUTION.. I have exploded two pipes this way as well as fixed a few.. So just watch the [process, it is not a drop in the freezer and forget.. I'm welding up a 3 week old PC platinum pipe right now that we crushed last time out, did the freeze deal.. and blew open the expansion chamber a good 2 inches wide...

I saw a dent fixed once with a torch and air. Plug one end of the pipe (he used a rubber expansion plug for a automotive freeze plug)and put a air hose in the other with a rag around the hose. Then gently warm the pipe with a small torch and the dent will pop out. But I'm sure you could mess up the pipe if you use too much heat so be careful!

after 2 days it hasnt decreased much at all. Should I find a way to cap the ends?

no. what you should do is get to an auto body shop or something, and use a stud welder to pull it out.http://images.travelpod.com/users/nickimja/5.1245488440.split-rock.jpg

putting water in something and then freezing it makes things end up like this.

soory that wasnt a great example. something more like this

http://uptill1.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/chuck-norris-split-rock.jpg