Sign in to follow this  

Arizona Spark Plug Cleaner

I have so many bikes that I have always wanted to get one of those cheap air powered abrasive spark plug cleaners. Especially for a few older 2 strokes that I have that always seem to foul plugs when a new rider is learning to ride and does not keep the revs up. I finally picked one up at that Chinese tool Giant and tested it on a few plugs that could not be revived with a wire brush and carb cleaner. The mini sand blaster cleaned way down in the plug and brought them back to life! Now I can continually clean the old plugs and keep 3 or 4 in my tool box when out riding. The unit was less that 20 bucks and I was so thrilled I thought I would post this up for all to see.....

plugs1.jpg

plugs2.jpg

Usually the plug is bad after it fouls no matter how good you clean it

That is not my experience....have you tried sand blasting them? If the oil and carbon is removed, why would they still be bad? I tried with a wire brush to revive one,and could not get it clean enough to fire. But the sand blaster worked and made the plug useable.

Might be OK for a while but seems like they tend to foul again easily.

I have tried the sandblaster, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

That is just my experience from working as a mechanic.

Fouled plugs? I remember a guy saying that he knew more ppl that won the lottery than had ever fouled a plug on a 2T.

Fouled plugs? I remember a guy saying that he knew more ppl that won the lottery than had ever fouled a plug on a 2T.

We used to foul plugs all the time back in the day....doesn't happen with newer bikes. Unless you add oil to your 5 gal gas can twice....like I did. Then I fouled a few out at Sycamore. That sucked.

I'm a little weary of cleaning plugs.

I have used a spark plug cleaner in the past, and no matter how well I tried to remove the abrasive after cleaning, there was always small pieces of "sand" wedged between the insulator and the and the inside if the thread body.

I'm not trying to "rain on your parade". I don't know how much, or if any damage a piece of sand can do.

I found this out by using a "spark plug reader", a magnifying glass, w/ a light.

On an older bike, probably, not a problem. Jetting IS the real issue. Also Iridium, or platinum plugs resist fouling.

Jetting seems like a hassle, or a lot of work. (I resisted learning it) But when I got the hang of it, it paid HUGE results, in less hassle with fouled plugs, more power etc.

Now I just go out and ride!!! No more plug wrenches being brought to start, or trail side repairs.

The bike starts easy, has more power, and I have more fun!!!

Great Luck out there, Have fun riding either way.

P.S. JD Jetting has done the work for you figuring out which jetting settings you need. Lot's of people have been pleased with their products. (I'm not affiliated with them, just a customer)