Sign in to follow this  

DR-Z400 Radiators?

Like every other used vehicle I've ever purchased, I am finding a number of flaws in the used 2001 DR-Z Kicker I just purchased.

As I take the plastic off, I've found some very amateurish wiring for the UFO tail light/blinkers that were added by a P/O, and that doesn't worry me too much...Running wires and properly shielding them from moisture and chafing is no big deal.

What concerns me much more is the fact that there was steam rising from the right side (fill side) radiator when I started the bike today. When I bought the bike this was happening and was assured by the owner that...."It's no big deal....I just had the cap off and dripped some antifreeze on to the engine." Silly me...I took his word for it.

Good thing I didn't pay a ton of money for this bike...

Without the plastic, it would appear that there may be a tiny leak in that radiator. Also, the left side radiator has clearly taken a hit at some point, although it does not appear to be leaking at all.

So...I know these radiators are pretty pricey items...Can they be repaired like a car radiator or heater core? Also found a replacement radiator (right side), but have no idea if all DR-Zs are the same or were the radiators different between the kickers, Es, and S models.

You can bet that a radiator guard will be one of my first purchases before I put this thing on the road/trail.

Thanks for the tip on Mylers...Will check them out.

E radiators are very different from S. E's have parallel flow and the others have serial flow. This makes the E radiator has doble fittings on either the top or bottom.