Sign in to follow this  

Kickstart gear PICS

My kick start gear kinda fell out of place when i took the cover off and i want to make sure i put it on right before i put the cover on. How do i know when its on correctly? Does the spring look correct where its positioned? Thanks for amy in put

cr250041.jpg

No way, the spring end fits into the hole at about 7-8 o clock. Plus you need to line up the two dots on the inside of the assembly to time the kickstart correctly.

• Like 1

get a manual, the dots are on the inside of the assembly, one on the shaft and one on the gear.

crider400,

Man I wish you wouldn't have posted this as I have put mine back together the same as you have it in the pic above and I didn't line up the two dots or even know about them.

The bike still starts with the kick starter but it didnt seem to come back up all the way.

Now I will have to pull it apart and do it right. Hope I can use the gaskets again as they are new I will probably get new gaskets again anyway.

I am actually glad you posted this so now I can get mine correct. I should have looked at the manual for this as it was apart and I did my clutch and clutch basket. Oh well I have some time as my Top End is at Eric Gorr getting the Big Bore Kit.

Im reusing my gasket, only one ride on it, If youdont mind, can you look up in your manual and see where the heck that dot is on the other gear to line up? i put the spring in the hole etc, just dont knw if its correct lol

Here are some pics from the manual. I only have one ride on mine too and will try to reuse my gaskets as well.

Here are the 2 dots

kickstartr1.jpg

kickstart2.jpg

• Like 1

Damn, it was a year ago since I rebuilt my engine and this has me thinking. What are the signs of not having those marks lined up?

The effect of not having those marks lined up is either too much or too little spring tension on the kick start return. If your starter is not flopping around, you're ok.

Thanks for the help, just go the bike runnin and runs good. Just used the same piston( still in good shape) and replaced the rings and circlips. Went up a size on the main & switched to castor 927. Going ridin hopefully sunday :banana: