Sign in to follow this  

Spinning tank nut help. Almost got it

The molded in nut in the gas tank was spinning, and so today i got pissed enough to just cut off my radiator shroud.

I am still having trouble removing the molded in nut. Its spinning and ive tried to pull it out with vise grips, but its just not coming out.

Any tips? THANKS

If you have access to an impact gun just continue to spin the bolt and insert at high speed. The insert will cause the plastic surrounding it to get hot enough that it will soften and then you can pull the insert out. Then use a vise or some locking pliers to hold the insert while you remove the bolt. Next mix up some epoxy for the hole in the tank, side the insert back into the tank and once the epoxy sets up all will be well. While the bolt is out of the insert it would be a good idea to run a thread chaser throught it and replace the bolt in order to eliminate future problems.

I feel that if I spin the insert over and over and make the hole bigger and circular, the epoxy alone wont be strong enough to hold the insert once I fix it.

I can spin the insert with the vice grips, but it feels like something on the back side of the insert is still holding it to the tank.

I do have access to an impact gun, but would heating it up carefully with a blow torch or a propane torch yeild the same results?

THANKS

I feel that if I spin the insert over and over and make the hole bigger and circular, the epoxy alone wont be strong enough to hold the insert once I fix it.

I can spin the insert with the vice grips, but it feels like something on the back side of the insert is still holding it to the tank.

I do have access to an impact gun, but would heating it up carefully with a blow torch or a propane torch yeild the same results?

THANKS

Had the same problem with my 450, the impact gun just made things worse... I ended up using this really useful tool called a grabit, which I just attached to a cordless drill and pulled the nut out.

BTW... I'm assuming that if you're going to use a blow torch, that you'll have emptied the gas tank... Right? :thumbsup:

Naww I was actually planning on fillin' 'er up right before I tried the blow torch method :thumbsup:

How does the "Grabit" work?

i used a drill with a socket, spun the bolt/molded in nut fast until the surrounding plastic melted enough and pulled it right out, and filled the hole with epoxy and put a new nut in there.. worked like a charm, the area around the nut is thick as well so no worries about causing a leak

You'll have to trust me on this one, I did it on my 450x and it works! Go to the auto parts store and get the epoxy for repairing leaking gas tanks. The hole will be rather large but the insert should come out without creating a leak, but, just in case, use this type of epoxy.

BTW, never use an open flame to heat a gas tank, especially an empty one!