Sign in to follow this  

New to forum new 650L need to lower

Hello all just bought a used XR 650l which is a bit tall for my 5'8" frame anyway had to have it and would like to lower the bike. I have seen the lowering link and would like to hear from people who may have done this if I will need to buy new bearings or can the old ones be reused, seals, etc? Also I had read where some are complaining about Al Bakers XRs only and customer service are they having trouble and should I avoid buying from them? Thank you in advance

Hello all just bought a used XR 650l which is a bit tall for my 5'8" frame anyway had to have it and would like to lower the bike. I have seen the lowering link and would like to hear from people who may have done this if I will need to buy new bearings or can the old ones be reused, seals, etc? Also I had read where some are complaining about Al Bakers XRs only and customer service are they having trouble and should I avoid buying from them? Thank you in advance

XR`s Only...don`t know seems they are having problems for some people...

I got the KoubaLink from a fellow TTer i think,,came with bearings...

B

Never, ever had a problem with XR's only. Depending on you weight back off the preload on the shock spring, install Kouba Link it comes with bearings. Raise the forks about 1 inch in the clamps & go ride!!

take this as you want...

I've bought a bunch of things from them, a few thing have worked 100%, some just broke and some work but not 100%.

They have taken care of my concerns properly, but I'm tired of calling about things.

I'll probably not buy from them again unless it's huge discount where returning a broken items is not of concern...

I have XR's Only lowering links on both my 650L and my 440R and they work fine. For what it's worth the link seemed to lower the 650 more than the 440. Both were easy to install. One thing to remember when installing a lowering link is that the kickstand will need to be shortened or the bike will stand too vertical.

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from XR's Only through the years and I've only had 1 problem. They sent me a oil temp dipstick for my 440 that leaked and started spraying oil everywhere from around the sight glass 1/2 mile from BFE. Luckily I made it back to the truck thanks to my brother ferrying oil out to me. Needless to say I sent it back along with a very colorful note. Anyway, when the replacement arrived it came in a rather large box. In addition to the replacement dipstick the box contained 2 T shirts and a hat!!:ride:

Everything's good! The replacement hasn't leaked a drop in 5 yrs!:thumbsup:

When lowering the bike just relieve the stop for the kick stand at the front with a grinder to give it more lean. No need to shorten the kick stand its self.

• Like 1

When lowering the bike just relieve the stop for the kick stand at the front with a grinder to give it more lean. No need to shorten the kick stand its self.
Good advice! I was lucky enough to have several different XR model kickstands out in the ole boneyard to choose from. If I remember correctly I now have the 650 kickstand on the 400 and a kickstand from an '80??? XR250 on the 650. I wasn't sure how other folks did it but assumed they cut 'em to shorten them. One problem with swapping out kickstands that I've run into is that the spring posts on different kickstands are always at different positions but I've always managed to find a spring that would work.

Now that I have the 17" SM wheels on the 650 the kickstand is again too long so I'll take your advice and grind the stop.:thumbsup:

You dont happen to have a picture of this do ya?

You dont happen to have a picture of this do ya?

No don't have the bike anymore but with the kickstand down it is the piece that it rest against.