Sign in to follow this  

Gas in the oil on my 2010 CRF250R

I have not ridden in about 6 weeks due to weather and work schedule. My bike has about 4 hours on on it.

I checked my oil today and it was full to the top with gas added.

Seriously............ What is this?

Do we have any recourse with Honda?:thumbsup:

Thanks much!

I have been in tune with your link. Just trying to push it to the top of somebody's priority list. Maybe Factory Honda reads these links to keep in tune with thier customer base????????????

I called my Honda shop and they acted if I was crazy!

Where do we go from here if all shops in our state act like they dont know whats going on?

I have a 2010 also and haven't noticed any gas in the oil....my advice is make sure the gas you put in it is VERY clean...!!

No problem man. but yeah idk I would call your dealer and see if anyone else has came to them about the same problem. maybe honda will cover the cost of a new injector. (assuming that is the problem with your bike) could be something else..

dealers are tough, not always up to date on the issues of these race bikes. when my valves zero'd out on my 06 i called a few dealers and they had no idea when 90% of the guy at the races on 250f honda's have had trouble with thier valves since 04.

i honestly dont think this is the bad injector problem, i think all of the 2010 do it to an extent, it just depends how bad it is, my oil smells like fuel strongly, and definatly seems thinner but the level isnt really changing.

i honestly dont think this is the bad injector problem, i think all of the 2010 do it to an extent, it just depends how bad it is, my oil smells like fuel strongly, and definatly seems thinner but the level isnt really changing.

After a second calmer look, it turns out that the level is just a smidge higher. But the gas smell is there and it seems a little thinner.

I love the bike, just want to make sure it does not hurt it.

So far, I've had no problems with the 09 450. It has almost 70 hrs on it. It has happened to a few of the other 09 450's I know about and they've all been bad injectors so far. If there was a way to somehow shut off the fuel before you shut the bike off and let it run out of fuel, that might stop it from leaking into the cylinder and filling your crankcase. Substandard cheap ass injector maybe? That's my guess.

After a second calmer look, it turns out that the level is just a smidge higher. But the gas smell is there and it seems a little thinner.

I love the bike, just want to make sure it does not hurt it.

thinner oil?? make sure it does not hurt it????

this is a verrry big deal.

20 hours on my 2010 and im starting to notice the issue after just an hour of riding after a fresh oil change.

ive heard the replace the injector thing and ive heard about letting your bike warm up and not blipping the throttle.

but ive seen first hand that these solutions did not fix the issue on my buddies 09 450.

im very concerned.

would love to hear of a fix.

$7000+ bike. probably $2000 in aftermarket.

and it scares me to ride it.

im thinking of keeping the hours off of it the best i can.

and riding the 05 450 for practice.

thinner oil?? make sure it does not hurt it????

this is a verrry big deal.

You don't want gas in the oil thats for sure, but no need to panic. Think 2 stroke has oil in it's gas and how little oil it needs for lubrication.

The bikes that have a noticeable rise in their oil level and have a strong gas smell, it can only be a leaking injector.

You don't want gas in the oil thats for sure, but no need to panic. Think 2 stroke has oil in it's gas and how little oil it needs for lubrication.

The bikes that have a noticeable rise in their oil level and have a strong gas smell, it can only be a leaking injector.

my buddies 09 450 has the same problem.

had to do bottom and top end.

and then a new injector.

and still no fix.

what next??

try a 3rd injector??

What about some of the engine builders chiming in on this? Would be good to hear from an expert builder/race support person.

Have they seen this issue with any of the bikes they support for thier riders and can they advise us?

my buddies 09 450 has the same problem.

had to do bottom and top end.

and then a new injector.

and still no fix.

what next??

try a 3rd injector??

Too many variables in your post to make a conclusion. Maybe he ran it low on oil one too many times or lacked the needed oil changes before the injector leaked and attributed it all to gas in the oil? Engines go south all the time even without gas in the oil.

If you can tell me how gas is entering the engine just sitting in the garage if not through the injector, then I'm all ears.

Too many variables in your post to make a conclusion. Maybe he ran it low on oil one too many times or lacked the needed oil changes before the injector leaked and attributed it all to gas in the oil? Engines go south all the time even without gas in the oil.

If you can tell me how gas is entering the engine just sitting in the garage if not through the injector, then I'm all ears.

I agree 100%. All the 09 450's that I know of and only 1 that destroyed a bottom which was total lack of maintenance. 40+ hours on the oil and filter that came with the bike. Only added oil when it started making noise. It was done on purpose so daddy would mod the motor out. That particular bike is a total POS now and I don't think it's a year old with more than 60 hrs.

There is only one way for fuel to enter into engine and thats through the fuel system. Poorly made injector. It does the same thing if the needle and seat are shot or has dirt in it on the carbs. The nice part about the carbs is that if your lucky, some of the fuel will leak out of the vent hoses and a EFI doesn't have that benifit. Same result either way, fuel in the oil.