Sign in to follow this  

rear shock help

would have posted this in suspension but i feel like i would get better responses here.

well i bought this bike (03 250f) and it had a couple issues. it had a blowed out shock and when you pushed down on the rear it sort of acted like it was bottoming out but it really wasnt...if that makes sense. so i found a good deal on ebay for a nice used shock. i took my old shock off and tried to raise the swingarm and it was smooth for a few inches then hit that same "bottoming out" spot? i know its supposed to be smooth all the way up so what could be causing this? i had read it may be the linkage was put in backwards? swingarm bearings binding? im not really sure.

also this new shock seems WAY to hard. i was going to try and adjust the preload but i cant seem to budge this lock washer. whats the best method here?

thanks for your help gentlemen

Edited by samson7x

You got several things going on here. 07 shock is different from 03 shock, but a suspension tuner may be able to make shim changes to make it work. Main issue is your bearings are locking up on you part way thru the travel. Mine did the same thing until I removed them, cleaned it all up and reinstalled. Later I had to replace them, so my recommendation would be to replace them with Pivot Works parts; takes a press to get the old ones out. On the shock preload issue, you should be able clamp the shock in a vice and take a shock wrench and loosen it, or take a drift pin and hammer and knock the lock ring loose and adjust it from there. But you can't really adjust preload until you get the linkages working properly. I found that I needed a little less rear sag to make my rear softer. If you need a tuner to send it to, I can PM my tuner's number to you.

You got several things going on here. 07 shock is different from 03 shock, but a suspension tuner may be able to make shim changes to make it work. Main issue is your bearings are locking up on you part way thru the travel. Mine did the same thing until I removed them, cleaned it all up and reinstalled. Later I had to replace them, so my recommendation would be to replace them with Pivot Works parts; takes a press to get the old ones out. On the shock preload issue, you should be able clamp the shock in a vice and take a shock wrench and loosen it, or take a drift pin and hammer and knock the lock ring loose and adjust it from there. But you can't really adjust preload until you get the linkages working properly. I found that I needed a little less rear sag to make my rear softer. If you need a tuner to send it to, I can PM my tuner's number to you.

correction i actually purchased an 03-05 shock. i was WATCHING an 07 shock on the auction....my mistake. i installed it and everything is fine as far as fitment. so what bearings need to be replaced? swingarm?

and less sag would mean loosening the rings? as in they should be higher on the shock?

OK, you should be fine on the shock then. Good. There are bearing at the bolts that go thru the shock in the eye of the shock, those need cleaning and greasing. There are bearings on what I call the dog bone, or short block at the bottom of the shock. I can't remember which ones were causing the most problems for me, but it was one of those; they both needed cleaned and greased. Then the swingarm pivot bearings can bind up as well. Yamaha doesn't cage any of these bearings, so be aware that once you start taking them appart, sometimes if they are dry, they can just fall out. You want to work on a clean dry floor, or bench if you have it off the bike.

On your sag question... less sag means you tighten the rings up, screw them down further on the shock body. This would make the bike stand up higher in the rear. I adjusted mine so that with me on the bike, it went down 1/3" less after I adjusted the spring. That's not much, but it put it into a softer part of the movement. It seems that if it sags more, the shock gets hard quicker. With the linkage, its progressive and so its closer to the point where it gets stiffer. Anyway, it worked for me.

Samson7X,

+2 on what the guys say about the linkage bearings. Check your PMs, I might have some parts which would could be of interest to you.