Sign in to follow this  

shock charge pressure??

So I got the shock oil changed to 10 weight and was wondering what pressure to charge it to. If it helps I weigh 180 and have a 7.2 spring in it. I ride mostly roads and dirt roads and the bike is lowered. If nothing else I will go with the 185# spec - it has to be better than it was, I put my shock pump on it and got 50PSI, I know I probably lost a little due to filling the pump, but I think it was low after 42K miles. I know some guys have messed with this, I would play with air pressure then go nitro, but it's winter here and I want to get nitro in it and be done

Thanks

Nitrogen pressure isn't something that has much effect on shock tuning. It is only used as a way to combat cavitation in the shock oil. You need enough pressure to eliminate cavitation. Having more pressure than that won't make a noticeable difference in how the shock works. Having a bit more pressure than necessary won't really have any negative effect either.

Thanks

Not sure where I got the 185. I think I will shoot for 170 as procycle's rebuild page lists

Can't wait to get on the road again. This is the first winter I haven't got a chance to ride in each month (I don't ride in salt). This winter I barely got in an early december ride, jan and feb were no goes so it's been 3 months