Sign in to follow this  

Little idea that might work for steel frame bikes

If you used truck bed liner on the bottom of ur frame to prevent denting or scratching of the frame. It wouldnt do a ton but i thought it might prevent the picky people (like me) from repainting the frame.Im aware it may add half a pound but I dont think i will notice the difference.

Whats your thoughts?

it would work fine im sure, iv always had a idea in the back of my head to do a whole frame with rhino lining one day lol

ive read about people doing that and apparently the worry was the weight issue. personally i would like to just do the bottom of the frame and sprocket maybe

The bedliners stuff will rip and tear with enough abuse. I put Rihnoliner on my truck 6 years ago. While its held up great on my truck for the most part, I doubt it would last more than a season or two of woods riding on the bottom of an off-road bike.

Whats wrong with a skid plate? It would be cheaper, lighter, easier to install, and it would last longer

+1 on the skidplate - bedliner won't last. Even without it, who cares about scratches or worn paint on the bottom of the frame.

As for the sides of the frame, after noticing some wear I picked up a set of OEM KTM plastic frame guards for around $25. They come with all the hardware and are made to fit your frame perfectly. The right side even has an additional pipe guard to cover the exposed portuon of the pipe right where it joins the silencer. Too late for me as my pants already have two giant holes from melting against this spot.

I just had my yz250f frame sandblasted and powdercoated for 100 bucks. I'm gonna do the yz125 next winter. Powder coat holds up way better than paint.

I have a works connection glide plate... Wouldn't ride without one after I broke the case on an older bike riding a rocky track.

I also change the oil through the oil change hole in the glide plate. Easy, clean, perfect.