Sign in to follow this  

Lifan vs XR200

I'm getting ready to do a XR/CR125 conversion. I don't have a motor available at the moment, so I'm looking at my options.

I can buy a 1981 XR200 for around $500. For that price I can get a new Lifan 200cc engine or maybe a 250cc. It looks like I may even be able to get a water cooled version, which might work nicely in the CR.

Does anyone have experience with the Lifan engines? How does the power of a lifan 200 compare to an xr 200 motor?

Thanks for the help.

- Brad

Lifan engines are chinese Jiang Dong crap. Don't expect reliability with that! It can run 10 minutes, or 1 year, nobody knows... but we sell these engines at my work and I don't trust them, I've seen to much problems with them. Unlocked valves, bad coil, etc etc... Find a used Honda engine for your bike if you wanna get back home on your bike.

I have experience with two Lifan engines. A 150cc and a 200cc. The 150 was in a China made bike. The only good things about the bike was the suspension and the engine. The rest was junk. The Lifan 150cc had more torque and more HP then my Honda CRF150F. It’s too bad the rest of the bike was so bad. But, I rode it for three years and sold it for $5 less then I paid for it. Not bad.

The 200cc engine only, I bought off of Ebay. Put it in a 1978 XL175 chassis. So far it’s working fine. Like you said, for the same money, a brand new Lifan engine or a used (very used?) Honda engine, I’ll take my chances on a Lifan.

Thanks for the feedback.

I currently have a 1982 XR200 motor in a CR85 frame. Since I'm thinking about doing some mods (maybe stroker), I may pull the motor out of that bike and possibly replace it with a Lifan later.

I found this on EBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cylinder-Big-Bore-kit-Honda-CG-200cc-Pit-Bike-Moped-ATV_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a051fbce3QQitemZ180474592483QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2605wt_1007

I'm wondering if I could use this on my worn out XR200?

- Brad

I would go with the Honda engine, my experiences with Chineese engines has not been good. The worse part being not able to find parts when they break, which is often if you plan on beating on it. One old Honda engine will still outlast 10 Lifans.

Yeah, I can see that parts could be a problem.

I've decided to see if I can find another Xr200 engine. I also need the exhaust and electrics, so I'll hunt around for a sub $500 used complete bike.

Thanks for all of the input.

- Brad

OK, all you XR fans out there will be glad to know I didn't go with the chinese motor. I took the XR motor out of my CR85/XR200 conversion and tore that apart to get it stroked.

I just picked up the replacement engine last night for the CR85/XR200. It's a ATC 200X motor. I got it off of craig's list. It was listed as "It just needs to be put back together."

The guy who had it gave it to a buddy to fix a broken kick starter gear. Two years later is was still in parts. His buddy gave it back to him and gave him another bottom end. It looks like the connecting rod let go on this one because the case is full of rod and piston parts.

This is what I got for $125:

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/ll344/squidless/?action=view&current=200xparts.jpg

OK, all you XR fans out there will be glad to know I didn't go with the chinese motor. I took the XR motor out of my CR85/XR200 conversion and tore that apart to get it stroked.

I just picked up the replacement engine last night for the CR85/XR200. It's a ATC 200X motor. I got it off of craig's list. It was listed as "It just needs to be put back together."

The guy who had it gave it to a buddy to fix a broken kick starter gear. Two years later is was still in parts. His buddy gave it back to him and gave him another bottom end. It looks like the connecting rod let go on this one because the case is full of rod and piston parts.

This is what I got for $125:

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/ll344/squidless/?action=view&current=200xparts.jpg

May Be Better Off With The Lifan???

I have a 83 XR200 that i paid 500 for, all ive done is change the oil and it runs amazing starts on first kick everytime, on the other hand i have a 150 lifan that motor ran great for about 6 months then it turned into poopie and everything about it was really cheap feeling, overall an XR200 motor would be way better in my opinion.

Well, it paid off.

I finally got the motor together and in my cr85/XR200 conversion that I robbed the other motor out of.

It took me all day to get it running. I had the valve timing off one tooth and the pulse generator wire had some intermittent connections. This caused it to kick back so hard that it sheared the flywheel key.

Once all of that was fixed, it started right up.

I'm still getting quite a bit of aluminum flakes out with the oil. I thought I had cleaned it pretty well, but the oil passages must have been full of garbage. I'll do some quick oil changes until it cleans up.

It's a little funky to kick forward to start it, but I can stay seated while I start it. The forward kick starter does make the engine wider on the right hand side. I had to grind away a little of the foot peg mount to get it to fit. The brake pedal no longer fits, so I'll have to modify it. I'll probably have to extend the right foot peg as well.

Here's a photo:

http://s312.photobucket.com/albums/ll344/squidless/?action=view&current=cratc200xconversion.jpg