Sign in to follow this  

Mainshaft/Countershaft Question

I'm rebuilding the bottom end of my XRL. I've assembled the main shaft and countershaft per the shop manual. Separately the gears spin freely, but when I insert them into the left side crankcase as an assembly, it turns freely for almost a full turn then stops, and if i turn it in the opposite direction same thing.

The shop manual doesn't specifically say this assembly should turn 360 degrees freely, but I'm thinking it should? Can someone who assembled this before clue me in?

I don't want to put the whole motor back together only to find out i missed something small. Thanks.

I'm rebuilding the bottom end of my XRL. I've assembled the main shaft and countershaft per the shop manual. Separately the gears spin freely, but when I insert them into the left side crankcase as an assembly, it turns freely for almost a full turn then stops, and if i turn it in the opposite direction same thing.

The shop manual doesn't specifically say this assembly should turn 360 degrees freely, but I'm thinking it should? Can someone who assembled this before clue me in?

I don't want to put the whole motor back together only to find out i missed something small. Thanks.

Two things here which you should know,and may not help this in particular..

(1) there is a lock tab on the shaft that holds the middle fork fixed to that shaft,,,make sure you bend both tabs...i just bent the one over that Honda did,,and it wouldn`t shift past second gear...the bend tab i didn`t bend was hitting on one fork,,,just wanted to give you a heads up...i had to tear the bottom apart again just to bend that...

(2) i found the gears would not turn well till i had both cases together for end support..then they turned fine..

B

:thumbsup: Thanks. I actually did the same thing with the lock tab, I'll fix that right now. Finally crankcase is back in one piece. :ride:

Yea, there is a spring tensioner on the outside of the right case as well. The shift drum doesn't really work well unless the case it together and the tensioner is doing it's job. My case went together a few times before I was sure I had it right.

Installing the tranny can be very fast if you have done it before but takes a while the first time.