Sign in to follow this  

2004 200sx stator

My son's KTM 200sx 2004 lost fire, I checked the coil with an ohm meter, the primary is .8 ohm, the secondary is 11.56k ohm.

I unplugged the stator leads (red and green) put a volt meter on these leads and kicked over the motor (no spark plug) and only get 2.4 milli volts.

Am I checking for a voltage output in the wrong place? I know the stator has generate more voltage than that.

KTM told me they no longer produce that Kokusan ignition that was used till 2005 on the 125 sx?!?!?!? That seems hard to believe.

Is there anyway to check the CDI box?

sounds like you are somewhat savy with electrical. I alway like to check the silly stuff first. I would unplug the kill switch(had this cause issues in the past). I also have had the coil wire come undone. I would test it with your volt ohm meter to see if it test open. If you do have a problem with the ignition, Kokuson is Japanese you should be able to find one no problem. I believe that came with a kokuson 2k3-- very popular, even on current models.

I do not know who you talked to at "KTM" but the 200SX does not share the same stator as a 125SX and they still make them. Your stator is a "K3" and it was widely used on the 200,250, and 300 EXC's, and XCW's. I do not know why they put the K3 units on the 200SX since it was a moto bike and the K3's are the highest powered lighting stators KTM makes. The only thing that has been changed on the K3 stators is the plugs which can be changed, I believe they changed the plugs in 05, so you should have no problem finding a used one. Any KTM two stroke stator and flywheel 98+ will fit onto the 200sx, the K3's had the heaviest flywheel so if you want some more snap you can get a k1 or k2, k1 is the lightest..

I've had 3 KTM stators fail in the last 5 years or so I'd not say that it's uncommon or maybe I just have bad luck.