Sign in to follow this  

valve shims

hi i have a 01 yz 250f intakes .10-.15 exhaust .17-.22

i was wondering if my clearance is .08 for intakes do i put in a .12 or .13mm shim to bring them back to clearance

and if ex is .16 i put in say a .20mm shim

is this correct

ok, I dont quite understand what youre saying. I think you have standard and metric measurements mixed in there.

you measure your clearances first.

then you find out what the clearances should be. there will be a difference between what you just measureed, and what they should be. if youre lucky, they will be the exact same.

then, you measure your shims and see what size are currently in the bike.

then you take your difference from before (from your measurements vs the actual specs), and minus that from your current shims.

you then install those smaller shims (usually theyre smaller as the valves tighten).

once youve installed the proper/smaller shims, re measure your specs... they should be right on with that your manual says.

Have you got the manual? theres a table in there that you can reference to, it takes alot of the maths out of the problem.

Basically you need the measurement you took and than run along the table and it will give you the shim size

ok, i'll check the manual before i do the adjustment,

are shims expensive, do you have to bu a whole if you just need a certain size shim

ok, i'll check the manual before i do the adjustment,

are shims expensive, do you have to bu a whole if you just need a certain size shim

theyre like 2 or 3$ each individually, not expensive it all.

its cheaper in the long run to buy a whole kit though if you plan on keeping the bike for a long time and doing several shims.

the hotcam shim kit has approx 200 shims for 80$, I bought it and dont regret it. very convenient and no hassle. if I want to shim my bike at midnight so its ready for the next day, I can do that. no dealing with the idiots at the stealership and having to wait a week for their order to come in.

i've read somewhere to always measure you shim even if new because sometimes the numbers arent right

Of course you should always double check everything, especially the valve clearance once it all goes back together and gets torqued to spec. (make sure you follow manual for cam caps torque)

I also bought the shim kit and with delivery it was about $110 or something AUS dollars so still a good $50 cheaper than i can get locally. As stated above, buying the whole kit saves hassle but you only need a couple shims out of the 200 or so you get to actually do the job so its a bit of a double edged sword

Where abouts are you located in AUS?

i've sorrted out what i've got to do know and have a good torque wrench was just double checking

probably not worth getting a shim kit because I'm selling the bike anyway