My new to me 400R, and my "plan of attack" - advice?

Okay folks... here it goes (gloves are off)!

I obtained my 2004 XR400 2 days ago.

It already had some upgrades done to it, virtually no miles... and I'm quickly learning about it (isn't the internet great!?). Let me say what it came with, what my plans are... and maybe some of you can offer up some tips, or tricks. ?

What it came with; ... and as pictured below

• - Baja D Dual Sport kit (however, I'm removing most of it as it's not needed)
  • - Baja D stator rewind (dual output 125x2 or 250watts!)
  • - Baja D Soltek 8" Halogen light and race mount (removing for my own personal HID)
  • - CA Plated (obviously... staying dual reg!)
  • - Maier rear fender
  • - Acerbis under tail mount with brake light and blinkers (going with Baja D kit)
  • - IMS 3.8G red tank
  • - 15T countershaft sprocket
  • - FMF pipe/SA and power bomb header (super quiet)
  • - Carb Jetting at 168M 48P 1.5 turns out.

What my plans are, or whats on order already;

• - USD Forks from '05 CRF450R
    along with brakes, wheel, fender...etc
    already valved and sprung by Precision Concepts
  • - All Balls bearing kit for USD Fork conversion
  • - Billet choke plate
  • - Cycra Pro-Bends and Solution mount hand guards
  • - Baja D skid plate
  • - R&D Adj fuel/air screw
  • - GPS power cable to 12V
  • - Black wheels
    unsure of who makes direct bolt on rear hub, checking Monday
  • - BRP Chainguide
  • - BRP Billet gas cap
  • - Rear shark fin
    unsure of brand at this moment, open to suggestions
  • - Ironman rear sprocket
    I have a 48T now, but the bike has a 45T sprocket - suggestions?
  • - Pro Billet Case saver
  • - Braking oversize front rotor
  • - Highway Dirt Bike switched for lights, kill, etc
  • - DRC LED "phantom" tail light
  • - IMS Foot Pegs
  • - Scorpion XCMH Front tire & Ultra HD Bridgestone tube
  • - Dunlop 739 AT Desert Rear tire & Ultra HD Bridgestone tube
  • - Precision Concepts respring/revalve of stock rear shock
  • - Subframe fix (before it cracks)
  • - Guts Tall/Soft foam and set cover

FUTURE UPGRADES:

• - Pumper Carb

Future sale of parts;

• - Full XR400 front end (forks, triple clamps, odo, fender, bars, etc - as new)
  • - Baja D dual-sport kit (no headlight)
  • - Complete Front/rear wheel set
    (stock tires in near perfect shape, not a scratch on rims)

Any suggestions above and beyond what I've noted would be very helpful, as you may not know I plan on riding this bike on LONG distance rides, and somewhat beating on it pretty good. So a lot of it will be wire tied, loctited, and built into a worthy machine for the quest... or that's the plan any way. ANY help is appreciated!

:ride:

P2273872.jpg

P2273874.jpg

Wow! Great looking bike. ? That thing looks like it was not ridden at all. What a fresh canvas.

Johnny, I don't if i have any advise for you.

What type of riding do you plan to do with this bike? I am running 14/45T (3.21 ratio). This works well for trail riding in Louisiana. :ride: I've heard of guys running much taller ratios. Just depends on... how fast is your riding area?

Your #48 pilot sounds small, how is it working for you? Is it hard to start? (most folks I know are running 58-62).

What has you going back to XR's?

Wow! Great looking bike. ? That thing looks like it was not ridden at all. What a fresh canvas.

Johnny, I don't if i have any advise for you.

What type of riding do you plan to do with this bike? I am running 14/45T (3.21 ratio). This works well for trail riding in Louisiana.? I've heard of guys running much taller ratios. Just depends on... how fast is your riding area?

Your #48 pilot sounds small, how is it working for you? Is it hard to start? (most folks I know are running 58-62).

What has you going back to XR's?

It is a "fresh canvas"... good analogy. Soon to be smeared however. Almost going to be hard to get'er dirty

I ride mostly open desert, and some mountain... some single track. Everything in between.... from 1st gear crawling to 5th gear pinned type riding style and terrain. So, it'll need to "do it all".

The rides I plan on doing, are long distance. Last one we did (5 of us), was 750 miles in 4 days. And like I mentioned... a bit of everything. From technical to boring. I know the bike will be a bit "underpowered" for my normal tastes... but I'm actually looking forward to it. Maybe not making a hill or two, and having to retry... or not being wide open in a sand wash, or no 70+mph wheelies down the pavement. Kind of refreshing to have to work for my fun, or that next big hill. I miss those days... and want to ride, be challenged, and still be smiling at the end of the ride.

The #48 is what I recalled by memory... I could've sniffed too much gas, and it's a 58. Hmmm... I'll look when I put in the choke plate or tomorrow as I take apart the front end. But it starts first kick... cold, and even warm... easy starts.

I went to this bike for several reasons, but the main ones are; No radiators (simple), easier and less maintenance (low compression), longer tire wear (less wheel spin) and what you've already read above. Plus, I'll still keep my X for the day trips or week long campouts around our local desert. Best part is my fiance' can putt it around and know 'too much throttle' won't send her flying out of control (she's an excellent rider on 4 wheels, but two scares her a bit). And one of the last things I thought of was I can putt around on the 'small hills' around camp with her and go geocaching. With minimal safety gear, and slower speeds (no urge to jump, or wheelie over large crevices...etc).

We even talked about getting some 185S's for around camp... as often we have fun in our golf-cart, and "wouldn't it be a good time if..." kind of thing. The XR will be fun. I just hope it keeps my attention for a long time.

....:ride: I just got an email, about a new friend selling a '03 for $1800 with lots of extras. Hindsight. But I'll definitely pass the word to some of my amigos. To add to it, 15min ago another seller called to say; "I know you just bought a bike... and I'm dropping my price another $200...." Oh well, I'm happy with my purchase!

ok, heres a trick to get you some good power gain. doesnt have to be crf exhaust just 2 of the same ones you find for $50 on ebay. and like 1in tube?? here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRvHr0w6LBk

"power gain"? ... whats the HP measurement? Or torque curve? ... over stock or an aftermarket exhaust?

Looks and sounds cool, but maybe more "gimmicky" than practical.

Okay, I've been copying your shopping lis... I mean trying to think of suggestions for you.

I can't help but wonder. ? Who is your parts supplier? Do you have sponsors supplying parts or will this just make someones day.:ride:

I used to be "helped" by some of the brands I chose... however, not any longer (I haven't raced in a year and a half). Nothing gratis anymore, and most of it is at a bit of a discount. Nothing to scream about... but, better than nothing. So yes, I guess you could say it'll "make a shop's day". However, I also spread the wealth amongst a shop or two.

Okay folks... here it goes (gloves are off)!

I obtained my 2004 XR400 2 days ago.

It already had some upgrades done to it, virtually no miles... and I'm quickly learning about it (isn't the internet great!?). Let me say what it came with, what my plans are... and maybe some of you can offer up some tips, or tricks. ?

What it came with; ... and as pictured below

• - Baja D Dual Sport kit (however, I'm removing most of it as it's not needed)
  • - Baja D stator rewind (dual output 125x2 or 250watts!)
  • - Baja D Soltek 8" Halogen light and race mount (removing for my own personal HID)
  • - CA Plated (obviously... staying dual reg!)
  • - Maier rear fender
  • - Acerbis under tail mount with brake light and blinkers (going with Baja D kit)
  • - IMS 3.8G red tank
  • - 15T countershaft sprocket
  • - FMF pipe/SA and power bomb header (super quiet)
  • - Carb Jetting at 168M 48P 1.5 turns out.

What my plans are, or whats on order already;

• - USD Forks from '05 CRF450R
    already valved and sprung by Precision Concepts
  • - All Balls bearing kit for USD Fork conversion
  • - Billet choke plate
  • - Cycra Pro-Bends and Solution mount hand guards
  • - Baja D skid plate
  • - R&D Adj fuel/air screw
  • - GPS power cable to 12V
  • - Black wheels
    unsure of who makes direct bolt on rear hub, checking Monday
  • - BRP Chainguide
  • - BRP Billet gas cap
  • - Rear shark fin
  • - Ironman rear sprocket
    I have a 48T now, but the bike has a 45T sprocket - suggestions?
  • - Pro Billet Case saver
  • - Braking oversize front rotor
  • - Highway Dirt Bike switched for lights, kill, etc
  • - DRC LED "phantom" tail light
  • - IMS Foot Pegs
  • - Scorpion XCMH Front tire & Ultra HD Bridgestone tube
  • - Dunlop 739 AT Desert Rear tire & Ultra HD Bridgestone tube
  • - Precision Concepts respring/revalve of stock rear shock
  • - Subframe fix (before it cracks)
  • - Guts Tall/Soft foam and set cover

FUTURE UPGRADES:

• - Pumper Carb

Future sale of parts;

• - Full XR400 front end (forks, triple clamps, odo, fender, bars, etc - as new)
  • - Baja D dual-sport kit (no headlight)
  • - Complete Front/rear wheel set

Any suggestions above and beyond what I've noted would be very helpful, as you may not know I plan on riding this bike on LONG distance rides, and somewhat beating on it pretty good. So a lot of it will be wire tied, loctited, and built into a worthy machine for the quest... or that's the plan any way. ANY help is appreciated!

:ride:

Just get the pumper carb and don't put anymore money into the stock carb, it is not worth it. It sounds like for you kind of riding, you would like the Edelbrock. The pump hits when ever you smack the throttle and wherever you are in the throttle (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc). a serious performance carb that has good control and great power. I typically don't have a problem pulling wheelies in 4th on the flat it i time them right. 3rd and lower is no problem, and the thing will run upside down.

This video is of me tipping my bike back over from almost completely upside down. I had to turn it off because it was still running, then when i start it, it does so on the first kick, no problem.

if that doesn't sell you guys on getting a pumper carb, i don't know what will. lol

I would look into the Motoz desert tires. They are gnarly! I just got one mounted, haven't ridden on it yet, but it is very very durable. have had growing success up here in washington and a very good following in Australia (Australian tire).

Motoz.us

I would order through Kelly @ http://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/HVA-SS-Home.htm

good prices and reasonable shipping.

Here is the thread that was floating around the Northwest forum.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=870245&highlight=motoz

Good luck and ride hard. You will love your xr4.

......... you would like the Edelbrock. The pump hits when ever you smack the throttle and wherever you are in the throttle (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc). a serious performance carb that has good control and great power. ..........

if that doesn't sell you guys on getting a pumper carb, i don't know what will. lol

Good luck and ride hard. You will love your xr4.

I had an Edelbrock on my 650R, and loved it. So I know all about the dreaded "dump it" and can't start it problems. Hence the reason it's on the future upgrade list. Right now, I'll still install the billet choke plate (it's only $22) and call it a day.

... I'm already at $1300 with the my list, and most all of it will be here by Friday. The plan is to do the USD swap on Saturday, and build it up all day until I'm done or near done.

And thanks for the info on the tires. I've seen'em and have buds who use them... thus far, I'm not a fan of them just yet. I'll stick with what I know has worked for me (racing and pleasure riding) and what I'm used to on my 450X.

... I look forward to this being done by end of weekend. When it is, surely you'll have some pictures to view. As I'll document the before and after... since it'll never look the same again after I ride it just once. ?

BTW, what do you all think a good price is to ask on the complete front end? And the dual-sport kit (I just ordered two more BajaD batteries to support my dual-hid setup. The battery on the bike will go with the kit - as that is what it's setup for)? ... they'll go in my local CraigsList this weekend if not onto Ebay.

I had an Edelbrock on my 650R, and loved it. So I know all about the dreaded "dump it" and can't start it problems. Hence the reason it's on the future upgrade list. Right now, I'll still install the billet choke plate (it's only $22) and call it a day.

... I'm already at $1300 with the my list, and most all of it will be here by Friday. The plan is to do the USD swap on Saturday, and build it up all day until I'm done or near done.

And thanks for the info on the tires. I've seen'em and have buds who use them... thus far, I'm not a fan of them just yet. I'll stick with what I know has worked for me (racing and pleasure riding) and what I'm used to on my 450X.

... I look forward to this being done by end of weekend. When it is, surely you'll have some pictures to view. As I'll document the before and after... since it'll never look the same again after I ride it just once. ?

BTW, what do you all think a good price is to ask on the complete front end? And the dual-sport kit (I just ordered two more BajaD batteries to support my dual-hid setup. The battery on the bike will go with the kit - as that is what it's setup for)? ... they'll go in my local CraigsList this weekend if not onto Ebay.

Now don't be so quick to dismiss the pumper carb addition! I've got a Mikuni pumper with brand new cables (still in the factory bags) for a very reasonable price! The pumper carb is one of the single best things you can do to this bike! (after suspension):thumbsup:Maybe we can trade? I've got things you need, You've got things I want!

Edited by Buckrun

Now don't be so quick to dismiss the pumper carb addition! I've got a Mikuni pumper with brand new cables (still in the factory bags) for a very reasonable price! The pumper carb is one of the single best things you can do to this bike! (after suspension):thumbsup:Maybe we can trade? I've got things you need, You've got things I want!

PM Sent!!

... you might have MORE than you know I'd be interested in. ?

Cool man. Yeah the tires I totally understand about. I ran a 739 A/T on my bike and got at least 1200 miles out of it up here in washington trails (lots of rocks and mud). there is a couple guys that race in the regional circuit that run them. one guy has 1800 miles of racing and trail riding on the front and he thinks he could get another 800 out of it before he replaces it.

I actually haven't sold my front end because my dad has a 2000 XR400 and we are saving bits and pieces for spare parts. i might sell my forks though, although i am saving the wheel and brake components. i am actually using the XR brake caliper and master cylinder on the cr front end because i like the feel of it better. I would start at 350-400 for the whole thing. I paid 500 for a complete CR250 front end with low low hours.

Are you going to re-valve your rear shock?

Hey Johnny, Congrats on the nice bike score. Maybe you remember meeting me with Steve on our way home from Baja last fall. You have me interested in the upside down swap now. Have you considered or figured out how to mount a Scotts stabilizer on that setup? Also the Edelbrock pumper was definitely the best upgrade I have done to my bike. Hugo

........... I would start at 350-400 for the whole thing. I paid 500 for a complete CR250 front end with low low hours.

Are you going to re-valve your rear shock?

Cool thanks.

Yes, the rear shock is on it's way to Precision Concepts today. ?

Hey Johnny, Congrats on the nice bike score. Maybe you remember meeting me with Steve on our way home from Baja last fall. You have me interested in the upside down swap now. Have you considered or figured out how to mount a Scotts stabilizer on that setup? Also the Edelbrock pumper was definitely the best upgrade I have done to my bike. Hugo

I remember, and thanks Hugo...! I'm trying to locate a used pumper from a TTer here... but he's not answering my PMs just yet.

Shit you got everything else , might as well give this mod a try :

1stthybridmotorcycle.jpg

Already got it. Too much coffee this AM! :ride:

Updated;

what my plans are, or whats on order already;

• - usd forks from '05 crf450r
    already valved and sprung by precision concepts
    Anodizing of triple clamps - black
  • - GPR V4 stabilizer
  • - all balls bearing kit for usd fork conversion
  • - billet choke plate
  • - cycra pro-bends (black shields) and solution mount
  • - baja d skid plate
  • - r&d remote adj fuel/air screw
  • - gps power cable to 12v
  • - black warp9 wheel set, w/billet looking silver hubs and buchannon spokes
  • - brp chainguide, black
  • - brp billet gas cap, black
  • - rear shark fin
  • - ironman rear sprocket (ordering 44t)
  • - pro billet case saver
  • - braking oversize front rotor, and caliper mount
  • - highway dirt bike switched for lights, kill, etc
  • - drc led "phantom" tail light
  • - ims foot pegs
  • - scorpion xcmh front tire & ultra hd bridgestone tube
  • - dunlop 739 at desert rear tire & ultra hd bridgestone tube
  • - precision concepts respring/revalve of stock rear shock
  • - subframe fix (before it cracks)
  • - guts tall/soft foam and set cover
  • - asv f3 clutch/hot start levers (black)
  • - asv f3 brake lever (black)
  • - lower black fork guards/shields
  • - fork skinz
  • - airtime-hid (dual hid headlight, 35w/55w)

future upgrades:

• - pumper carb

going in craigs or on ebay this weekend;

• - full xr400 front end (forks, brake cable/lever/caliper, triple clamps, axle, odo, fender, bars, etc - as new)
  • - complete baja d dual-sport kit (with acerbis tail light and plate holder)
  • - complete front/rear wheel set with rotors, sprocket, tires and tubes

Edited by johnnyairtime

JAT.....Congrats on your new XR very nice bike.

You and I have never ridden together but we have ridden on many of the same areas in CA. (From your ride reports in the CA section)

The XR4 advice I can you is......

Do not put a heavy 120 rear tire and the UHD tube......Tubless with a 110 rear works great (I run the Desert IT because I get them cheep)

15 / 45 sprockets with a 220 lb rider with 110 rear & Tubless top speed 74 mph. (120 rear and UHD Tube was 68 mph)

Pumper carb is a must

The CRF forks are 1" longer and I am worried about mess up the stock geometry / balance of the bike. I have stuck with the stock forks re-sprung and revalved. Because of the shorter wheel base the XR has big reactions to small SAG and Fork height adjustments.

Again because of the shorther wheel base a damper is very nice also. (I did not see that on your list)

If you want to meet up and swap XRs for a few miles let me know:thumbsup:

JAT.....Congrats on your new XR very nice bike.

You and I have never ridden together but we have ridden on many of the same areas in CA. (From your ride reports in the CA section)

The XR4 advice I can you is......

Do not put a heavy 120 rear tire and the UHD tube......Tubless with a 110 rear works great (I run the Desert IT because I get them cheep)

15 / 45 sprockets with a 220 lb rider with 110 rear & Tubless top speed 74 mph. (120 rear and UHD Tube was 68 mph)

Pumper carb is a must

The CRF forks are 1" longer and I am worried about mess up the stock geometry / balance of the bike. I have stuck with the stock forks re-sprung and revalved. Because of the shorter wheel base the XR has big reactions to small SAG and Fork height adjustments.

Again because of the shorther wheel base a damper is very nice also. (I did not see that on your list)

If you want to meet up and swap XRs for a few miles let me know:thumbsup:

Very good! ... we'll have to "meet up" on the trail sometime.

My very first (long distance) ride on the XR will be April 2nd-4th. Should be fun.

I know about the geometry problem of the forks (1" longer), and am aware of the bit of harshness that comes from them. Not too worried... as I just had to ride my 450X with rear shock blown for 300 miles, and only had tightened the spring 1/2" or so to compensate (keep it from bottoming too bad). It too, is on it's way to Precision Concepts today with the XR rear, for service...etc.

Very nice info on the speeds with just about what I weigh (with gear and vest - I think I'm 205+ with street clothes). I already have a pre-ridden rear 110/100-18 to go on the rear, and I'll use a UHD tube. I don't run the tubliss all the time, and not too often on super long rides (depending on terrain usually), but I do have a couple if needed.

And forgot to add the damper... it'll come with the 450R front end. I'm assuming GPR will have a weld on post for me, or I'll make my own (I have a TIG/MIG/Plasma/Oxy..etc in the garage). Got that covered.

... great info, keep it coming!! ?