Sign in to follow this  

Why not Yamaha

Since Yamaha still makes 2strokes,why would'nt they market a yz250 set up for offroad riding and give the european bikes a run for the money.How much R&D could it really take?:thumbsup:

Like many other companies yamaha has had to cut down whereever possible with the current economy. They have shut down many of their plants and done other cost cutting measures. Just like the auto companies they are focusing on what they have instead of looking for something else to produce.

Since Yamaha still makes 2strokes,why would'nt they market a yz250 set up for offroad riding and give the european bikes a run for the money.How much R&D could it really take?:thumbsup:

The gearset out of the WR426 fits right in the YZ. Simple suspension setting changes, heavier flywheel, a different pipe and you have an excellent woods bike.

It's a complete mystery to me why Yamaha hasn't done it.

If I was Yamaha, I wouldn't do it. Wouldn't they have to change way that the cases are machined? How many more bikes would they sell. They could/should however, sell a kit with the gears and the dremel tool. It might make more sense to market the kit instead of a new model.

On the other hand, my 01 had a full wr tranny. My new (to me) 05 yz has the standard tranny. I happen to like the standard tranny a lot better. the wr gearing is nice, very nice in fact, but not necessary.

Im not just talking about tranny,a im also talking about suspension and exhaust,maybe lighting.They must have the parts to do it.

Once again it just doesnt make sense for them to take on more models, they are trying to cut cost not add more. They are making a great bike and want you to take it in whatever direction you want instead of trying to make a bunch of different bikes to please everyone.

If i were my blue love, Yamaha (wished i was!)....i'd adopt the principle from the reduced-/ optimized-volume case of the '05 and up YZ125's case reed engine to the YZ250 :thumbsup:

Every test magazine and shootout raved at how perfect that engine is (especially the '06 and up YZ125 engines) ---- in 2008, KTM adopted the same principle of an optimized case in all its 2-stroke line up. That is a whopping 3 years after YAMAHA perfected it at a ONE-GO! :lol:

:ride::lol:

Im not just talking about tranny,a im also talking about suspension and exhaust,maybe lighting.They must have the parts to do it.

Aftermarket provides it all. It's still cheaper/funner to mod a YZ250 than buy a out of the crate ready to woods race KTM. :thumbsup:

I don't get it. Hasn't just about every non-KTM off road bike answered questions that nobody asked? Every time Yamaha made a WR the first thing people did with them was to slather them with YZ parts.

My point, I guess, is that "off-road" is different everywhere. It's way easier for most people, including me, to buy a YZ and do whatever is required, very little, to make a woods bike out of it.