Sign in to follow this  

Tw 200

I purchased a 130 jet form Yamaha. Reset my pilot screw to 2 and 3/4 turns and shimmed the needle with a .026 plastic spacer from an Arctic Cat snowmobile.

I just did what the experts on the TW forum suggested.

KM

If you're near sea level, a 132.5 might be a better deal. I'm running the 130 in NE Missouri, and wondering if I'd be better off with the 132.5 myself.

Definitely, you need to unplug the idle screw (drill it SLOWLY with a small bit, it should come out easily, may need a second pass with a larger bit if it doesn't come with the small one) and set it between 2 and 2.75 turns out. Turn it all the way in, GENTLY so you don't damage it when it seats, then turn back out; I'd start at two and a quarter turns out (that's where mine is now).

I'm running a spacer about 0.03" thick under the needle clip, but I've seen recommendations up to 0.05" (again, the lower the altitude, the bigger it needs to be).

:banana: You're in luck--but will have to work for it a bit. First, check out this website: tw200forum.com

REALLY study the website, above. All your questions about driveability will be answered there, but I'll briefly explain...

The EPA & California regs force Yamaha to lean the carburetors (Teikei MV28) to pass emissions, and also there's an evaporative can that does absolutely nothing. The main jet on your bike needs to be replaced with a larger one(see the forum, lots of references) and the slide needle will need to be shimmed UP--which pulls the tapered needle further out of the jet that it sits inside of.

Also, and this is VERY important to starting, the brass plug covering--and preventing adjustment to--the pilot jet/idle&low speed fuel mixture MUST be carefully removed, so you can adjust the pilot needle. There is ONE entry to the TW200 forum that has excellent pics of exactly what you need to do. Don't do ANYTHING until you've found and seen this thread. Or pay an excellent mechanic to do the work for you.

Make these 3 repairs/adjustments, keeping in mind the normal altitude you ride in, and you will solve your rideability issues.

Enjoy a great little bike!!

mekmoose