Sign in to follow this  

how to keep bike safe?

what are some quick simple things to do to your bike to stop it from getting stolen or at least slow them down when they are trying to steal it? thanks for replies.

one of best things is, act like you don't have a bike, or at least make it look like you don't have a bike

i NEVER ride or bring my bike out the front, all cleaning is done in the backyard

a kid across the rode from me, lots of bikes, he got a new on, always riding them out the front, next thing comes and asks if i saw anything suspicious because his bike was just stolen

lock it up, put heavy thing like weight benches in front of the bike and cover it up

Lock it up with chains, security system on your house, motion sensor cameras, the list goes on and on but it comes down to price really.

I would say first and foremost, if you keep it in a garage with windows either buy some blinds or find something to cover the window up in case someone decides to come snooping one day.

Chains are pretty cheap and you can weave 2 or 3 heavy duty ones through the bike onto something like a support beam.

Motorcycle insurance for off road vehicles. Usually doesn't cost too much and will at least give you something back if it does wind up stolen.

Theres no fool proof way to prevent it if it happens while you're not home but doing what I listed is a start.

I put a cable around a 4x4 that is part of our wall and run it through the bike somewhere.

Hope you have a garage, or a big house. My buddy kept his bikes in the house, of course it was 4000 square feet. If you don't have that option, then.......

Spend the most you can afford on a chain, and chain it to something. Padlock on the rotors isn't a bad idea, but a bike that size is easily carried off by 2 guys. I had my buy chained to the stairwell at an apartment complex, and they made we move it out to the parking lot. I would cable it to my truck, but during the day it just sat there chained to itself. I left for work at six, and came home at noon and it was gone. Gated community, and of course, nobody say anything......at least if they can't cut it with a bolt cutter, they will have to use a grinder, which tends to draw some attention.....

Good luck....

padlocks on the rotors, chain it to the floor or a wall support.

Yup, drill and epoxy U bolt into your garage slab and chain it to it. But in all honesty, there is really not too much you can do that will protect your bike from a pair of bolt cutters.

MAX!!!

gotta love canada!

had 6 bikes sitting in the garage for the last 10 years and not even been close to having one being stole :thumbsup:

Yup, drill and epoxy U bolt into your garage slab and chain it to it. But in all honesty, there is really not too much you can do that will protect your bike from a pair of bolt cutters.

MAX!!!

I understand what your saying, but, when we were storing our bikes at the campus appartments at Montana St. U. (not what I'd say was very secure) I ran a cable locking system, and a chain system through our frames and wheels. I figured if someone showed up with cable cutters, he could get through the cable, but the chain would stop him, likewise, if he showed up with bolt cutters he could defeat the chain, but not the cable. Either way, we kept our bikes, oh yea, I put a lock in the rotors as well.

Not fool proof, but I think I skewed the odds in our favior!

I found out the hard way cables are useless. Get one of those New York Chain locks from Kryptonite, they wiegh more than the bike, but it would take a welder to cut one off...

Get a wire rope, preferably a thick one coated in nylon/plastic/soft material and one that is high tensile so you cant cut through it with a hacksaw. Bolt cutters wont get through it because it will just squash and wont cut, wrap it through the wheels and frame and get a padlock that is bolt cutter proof or one with a case around it. If your bike is light, which most dirt bikes are then put the cable through a high tensile bolt cutter proof loop into your cement floor.

Only way to get that bike out of there is have the key, or a grinder or a blow torch.

what you do is get some pad locks, lock the rotors, get a 1in cable with plastic wrap around it, put it threw the tires, handlebars, frame, subframe, and get a pad lock lock it up. buy a motorcycle cover a big one, wrap your dirt bike with it, then get about 10ft of 1/2in chain and wrap the dirt bike with it so you cant take off the cover. then put a tarp over it so know one knows what it is. i did that everyone who walked buy thought it was junk layin around.. 8k worth of junk =D

or you can get a alarm for it i think, put just chain the hell out of it, and chain it to like a pole/post something that cant be removed..

The way I look at it is if a thief really wants your bike there probably is not too much that is going to stop them, they just better hope me or the dog don't catch them.

But if somebody does make off with one of the bikes its just time to go shopping on insurance company dime.

squad car in front of the garage and the rest of the protection is courtesy of HK

How about buy some insurance and lock it up the best you can. I think I pay like $50 a year for mine.