Sign in to follow this  

Safe coolant temp w/ 1.6 rad. cap?

• 2002 XR650R.
  • Engine Ice.
  • 1.6 rad. cap
  • Vapor comp w/coolant sensor between head and thermostat housing.

If you have a similiar setup or know, what is a safe temp range?

I started to get worried when it hit 200 F and the little warning light started to glow red on my Vapor. The bike didn't seem like it was hot at all, no hiccups or steam.

I feel like it should be ok since I'm riding at 4500-6000 ft and the sensor is where the coolant is coming out of the head and is at it's hottest. Thinking i should reset my warning light?

I was told that 240-250 was too hot by someone who builds these motors, I don't have anything to back it up other than trust his experience. I think 200 would be fine if that's average?

Anyone else with an XRR and Vapor computer have input or real world knowledge on what the acceptable temp range should be for coolant coming out of the engine getting ready to go into the radiators with a 1.6 rad cap and Engine Ice?

Between 200 and 230 as mentioned above?

Temp ranges all water-cooled motorbikes that I've owned have been pretty standard (singles, twins and fours) -> ~75C normal running temp; ~90C fan comes on (if bike has one : i.e. time to get rid of excessive heat); ~120C time to shut down.

Cheers

Ads

Temp ranges all water-cooled motorbikes that I've owned have been pretty standard (singles, twins and fours) -> ~75C normal running temp; ~90C fan comes on (if bike has one : i.e. time to get rid of excessive heat); ~120C time to shut down.

Cheers

Ads

I think your theory is taking into account the temp being measured after the water is already cooled once through the radiators. Where my temp sensor is just before it's being cooled. In your theory, if the water isn't cold enough after leaving the rads. causing the fans to also kick on...then something is running alot hotter than my bike is.

I think your theory is taking into account the temp being measured after the water is already cooled once through the radiators. Where my temp sensor is just before it's being cooled. In your theory, if the water isn't cold enough after leaving the rads. causing the fans to also kick on...then something is running alot hotter than my bike is.

How come you assume that? his #'s

75C =167F

and

90C=194F

and 120C = 248F for Dangerous temps

All is in line with what everyone above has suggested? (give or take a couple of degrees F)

Hi - was only looking to provide guidelines based on my experience with a range of different bikes which all seem to be in the same ballpark regarding operating and max. temps.

Best

Ads