Sign in to follow this  

08 450 EXC vs 010 450 EXC - California, Any one have comparison experience?

Thinking about going to a 2010 450 EXC. Any one have any thoughts on the differences or lack of?

I like my 08 and hope the 010 is equal if not better.

Thinking about going to a 2010 450 EXC. Any one have any thoughts on the differences or lack of?

I like my 08 and hope the 010 is equal if not better.

My understanding is that there are 2 types of 2010 450 EXCs -- Champions Edition and Six Days. One is supposed to be a re-badged 2009 with extra goodies, the other has the new frame. As for the one with the new frame I heard that it doesn't get the triple clamp and rear shock mods the 2010 SX received. The upside of KTM is that they have a tool for every situation, this is also a downside at times in my opinion. There have been some engine updates since '08 aimed at improving reliability.

So far the newest frame is being used on the XC-w which is the wide ratio off-road bike powered by the new SOHC motor. It is my understanding there are no US EXCs with the newest frame. As explained to me by a knowledgeable dealer Saturday.

Maybe the 2011 model will have it.

Bruce

I'd be sending the frame to a powdercoaters, the engine to Thumper for a 610cc complete rebuild & the suspension off to your favorite shop, all fresh plastics, tires, drive & brakes. Better than the 2010 & built for you.

New bikes are a treat and I enjoy fitting them out but a fully torn down, complete rebuild is a hoot too and can yield a product not available new.

The options are enough to make my head spin!

Dampers, clamps, bars, guards, SM wheels, auto clutches if thats your thing. I find I'm in near another grand deep on a new bike just setting it up.

the shock and fork are better some, but with a few hundred dollars the 08 can be even better, the motor mods are minor and you have likely already made them to your 08, ie cam upgrade-trans seal upgrade-rings. the rings were more an 09 problem than an 08 but some had it in 08.

the 2010 is great but if your 08 is not wore out just spend a few bucks on it and your fine. OR..buy the 2010 and help keep our beloved ktm in business....:smirk

The 010 I am looking at has the new frame. I think the front forks have changed as well. I am not interested in rebuilding my current bike. It has been very reliable and fun to ride. Just time for an upgrade! :thumbsup:

The question is, is the 10 really an upgrade???

I was hoping someone out here would have already purchased the 010 450 EXC!! Then I could get some feedback but it does not appear that very many of these models have been sold to people that post on TT.

not alot of guys on tt that had a '08 and have now bought '10 to give an accurate comparison i guess

I have the 2010 530 XC-W 6 days - frame changes, minor motor mods, bling, fan included, better tripple clamps (cast vs forged i think), BNG, riding my buddies 2008 530 EXC there's not that much difference (assuming the reliability mods are made to an 08)....they're 95% the same...i just got the 2010 as it was the latest and greatest at the time and only $1k more than an 09 new....i'd say hold out and see what 2011 brings to the plate...if 2011 isnt anything special, get the 2010 at a discount....but they could do something worth the change like single oil/trans resivour or other significant improvements.

That single oil system conversion is available for the 08/09s so I stick with my first instincts. Rebuild, improve & bling away IMO!

I have not had any motor or transmission issues at all with the bike. It has served me well.

So far the newest frame is being used on the XC-w which is the wide ratio off-road bike powered by the new SOHC motor. It is my understanding there are no US EXCs with the newest frame. As explained to me by a knowledgeable dealer Saturday.

Maybe the 2011 model will have it.

Bruce

My understanding is that the EXCs have a single cam motor while the XCs (and XC-ws) have the dual cam motor.

My understanding is that the EXCs have a single cam motor while the XCs (and XC-ws) have the dual cam motor.

Looks like my info was not accurate. Went to KTM USA and......

The 450 and 530 EXC and XC-w are all listed as having the new frame, suspension settings and piston rings. Not sure when this changeover took place as I thought the 2010 EXC Champions was same spec as an 09 EXC with bling added.

Did KTM do a mid model year spec change? Perhaps I lost a year.

Gleaves, the XC-w has the SOHC and the XC had the DOHC but it looks like they have dropped the DOHC XC for 2010. Only XC I see are 2 smoke.

With the release of the 2011 models 7 months away I am already looking to see what changes are in store.

Bruce

Edited by BDM

Looks like my info was not accurate. Went to KTM USA and......

The 450 and 530 EXC and XC-w are all listed as having the new frame, suspension settings and piston rings. Not sure when this changeover took place as I thought the 2010 EXC Champions was same spec as an 09 EXC with bling added.

Did KTM do a mid model year spec change? Perhaps I lost a year.

Gleaves, the XC-w has the SOHC and the XC had the DOHC but it looks like they have dropped the DOHC XC for 2010. Only XC is see are 2 smoke.

With the release of the 2011 models 7 months away I am already looking to see what changes are in store.

Bruce

ah why did you have to do that to me???? Maybe I should buy my son a WR250 and ride it and wait for the 2011's :thumbsup::banghead:

What to do? Probably purchase the 2010 as planned. :ride:

That single oil system conversion is available for the 08/09s so I stick with my first instincts. Rebuild, improve & bling away IMO!

-- From where? I know some have done some testing, but unaware of a production ready solution...i'm in if it's real and from a legit source.

It requires a case splitting, IIRC Blais Racing, GWR, possibly Trail Tricks & maybe Dave Hopkins. Its a ready to go mod but my engines staying together for now. Oil volume is 1.4 qt when done.

xc is the same twin cam motor as the sx, xcw is the single cam motor and the same as the exc