Paint for muffler

Honestly I don't know if you can get away with painting it. I think the pipe would get to hot. I stripped down my stock muffler before getting exhaust and I grinded it and looked sweet. I then put a high temp ( thought it was the highest temp I could find) and it was nice metal color but then within a couple miles the clear coat turned brown and was discolored. I mean maybe if you search the internet maybe you can find something I didn't. But good luck whatever you do

I'm pretty sure that was thestuff I had. It was engine enamel high temp clear and that's what turned brown. I mean he can try it and go from there but just trying to save him a step and not waste his time with what I did. Lol. But never thought of the BBQ paint or stove paint. Good idea

i tried hi-temp stove paint on my muffler and went to crap in about two revolutions of the motor, i say go to harbor freight and buy one of those cheap powder coater guns and bake it in your wifes oven.

The has got to be paint out there that will withstand the heat.

For example, I have a wood stove that is painted black. That puppy has glowed red for hours when it really gets going. Paint on it has never flaked off or had any issues.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I went out and bought some, VHT (Very High Temp.)brand, flat black header paint (claims 1,300-2,000deg). The hot rod cage forums swear by the stuff. I'll post a right-up, after I've run with it a while, and let everyone know how well it works.

Joel H.

VHT makes a range of high temp paints and while the 1200 degree stuff is needed for headers you can use a lower temp rating for mufflers and mid pipe. Caliper paint is rated 900 degrees and is available is several gloss colors as well as flat colors. I used caliper paint on my midpipe and it is holding up well.

Next down the list are some high temp engine paints rated for 500 degrees, then regular engine paints rated at lower temps, or not rated (which is not good).

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I went out and bought some, VHT (Very High Temp.)brand, flat black header paint (claims 1,300-2,000deg). The hot rod cage forums swear by the stuff. I'll post a right-up, after I've run with it a while, and let everyone know how well it works.

Joel H.

I would love to know how it works out. I am considering something along these lines to cut back on pipe maintenance.