Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade the E or buy a new sm?

Alright with my cbr up for sale i'm considering what my next purchase will be. I own an 06 not street legal e. I'm considering buying an sm then getting a set of dirt wheels for it. That way i can do some dual sport rides and still have my street bike, I would sell the e and buy a more dirt oriented dirtbike.

Next option is to buy a set of sm wheels and street legal the e. Then buy another for a dirt only toy. In my area i can pick up an 07ish sm for around $3500. I have $2300 in my e right now. Its bone stock and in good shape. What do you guys think should i upgrade the e or pick up a new used sm.

I would keep the E for dirt only, buy the SM for street, and throw the E wheels on the SM for dual sport if needed....that is if you are happy with the E in the dirt. You could also put the SM wheels on the E for track use if you wanted. If you use a RM carrier bracket on the E you can get another SM rear rotor and run it on the rear of the E making the wheel swap to the SM a little easier since you don't have to swap the rear rotor each time. Just a thought and probably the most bang for the buck.

I would keep the E for dirt only, buy the SM for street, and throw the E wheels on the SM for dual sport if needed....that is if you are happy with the E in the dirt. You could also put the SM wheels on the E for track use if you wanted. If you use a RM carrier bracket on the E you can get another SM rear rotor and run it on the rear of the E making the wheel swap to the SM a little easier since you don't have to swap the rear rotor each time. Just a thought and probably the most bang for the buck.

Good advice a second bike then add ability of swapping wheels this way makes for options. Just wheels is less expensive but you you are getting a pretty cheap complete SM. A New wheelset to make the E street worthy plus all the goodies to make it legal in OK may go as high as $2000 new , used maybe $1200. It will run circles around a stock SM though.

Check all the threads on swapping wheels and if you get a whole 2nd bike (SM ) for less than $4000 that is pretty good. Now you mix and match with some hardware and you have 4 bikes - but not really, just 4 options.

Keep the E. The cams and carb almost pay for the wheels if you wanted to upgrade your SM.

In oklahoma it would cost me about $500 to street legal the bike. The wheels would be roughly $1k

If i keep the E

Price of bike $2300

Wheels $1000

Street legal $500

Total $3800

If i buy an sm

Price of bike $3500

Dirt wheels $750

Total $4250

If i keep the E

Price of bike $2300

Wheels $1000

Street legal $500

Total $3800

If i buy an sm

Price of bike $3500

Dirt wheels $750

ECams $150

FCR Carb $500

Total $4900

For similar performance.

'06 and earlier E's (unless CA model) have higher compression, better carb, and more aggressive cams. 3.5 horsepower difference with all else stock. E base builds power faster for less $$.