Sign in to follow this  

08 KTM 530 exc-r Hard to Start

I know this has been discussed a lot in the past, but what exactly are the fixes for this bike. How should the jetting be set up right now it is 180 main 45 sec not sure on the needle position. I cut the restrictor off in the exhaust. I am ordering the kit to take the emmisions off. Some one told me some of these had bad cams? It has been like this since new. Any help thanks

jd jet kit...red needle, clip positin varies on altitude and temps-5down for so.cal, 175 main, 42 pilot, airscrew 1 3/4out, make sure your batt sits on a real {not trickle} charger for a good 24 hrs or so at 2 amps, 2 twist of the throttle, choke on, and it pops off in about 2 seconds everytime now. mine was also hard starting since new. after these changes it fires up immediately now everytime cold or hot, when hot, do not twist the throttle just crank and pops off

what happens when you try to start your bike? Also dont forget about the gear behind the starter that has that clutch in it. That was the main problem with my bike(08 450) not cranking, jetting and the camshaft where the main problems with my bike not starting. I jetted it to the jd kit spec, removed all of the emission stuff (plugging where it needed it) and the bike ran awesome it was just hard to kick and the starter didnt turn the engine over. I next got a new battery and that did nothing (yes i fully charged it). So next I checked my cam and of course it was the bad one so I bought a new one and installed it ----still no cranking. I took the right side of the motor apart and gave that starter gear about 3/4 of a turn and that did the trick. I got a flex jet and now the bike runs and starts great I am very happy with it! hope this helps

It turn over fine. Replaced the battery with a Deka battery a lot more power, it just doesn't want to start. Ordered JD jet kit and emission block off kit. Will let you guys know how it goes. I'm just really frustrated with it thanks. Steve

Emissions block off kit? What's that?

It sounds like this is a new leftover stock bike? If so, you need to do some reading on what this bike likes/needs in order to run right....

Once you cut the restrictor and start doing other mods, it won't want to start or run good until you've done all the mods.

Just wondering why would turning the starer gear help your cranking problem. I'm confused

Me too, i haven't heard of this one yet.

did you check to make sure the kill switch is working properly?