Sign in to follow this  

VW Bus as moto-van?

Has anyone done this before? I know that its a rear engine so you cant load it from the back but could you load it through the side door? The plus about the engine in the back is that it already makes a bed for you....any thoughts?

Has anyone done this before? I know that its a rear engine so you cant load it from the back but could you load it through the side door? The plus about the engine in the back is that it already makes a bed for you....any thoughts?

I used to put a bike in the back of a 1971 bus.

The bike was an ATK 406, the ritual was to put the bike on a crate, with the front wheel near the door. I'd then remove the front wheel, put the axle back in, and then lift the front of the bike using the axle into the bus. I had a piece of ply with casters on the 4 corners that I put the forks onto. Then I would lift the back of the bike, and slide the front of the bike into the corner of the bus right behind the drivers seat. As the ATK had a short wheelbase I could leave the rear wheel on. The side door would just close on the bike.

I was quite fit back then, I couldn't go thru those manouvers now. It can be done.