Sign in to follow this  

To use, or not to use? -- air filter rim grease

I heard from a friend that instead of putting grease on the rim of his air filter, he just puts filter oil. Has anybody done this? I think it will be cheaper than having to buy the grease, if it works.

BTW, I use no-toil oil.

Whats the difference? Your air filter should be covered in oil anyway so it would already have air filter oil all over the rim. Get some grease or vaseline.

Whats the difference? Your air filter should be covered in oil anyway so it would already have air filter oil all over the rim. Get some grease or vaseline.

I never put oil on the rim of the filter, are you supossed to?

my filter started to rip from just filter oil, cause its' really tacky

I use just some regular old water proof grease, same I use on my bearings, and it makes my air filter come out really easily

Tom Morgan was the factory Kawasaki mechanic for Jeff Ward and Mike LaRocco and he told me not to grease the filter about 15 years ago. I took his advice and have never had a problem with it. I sure don't miss cleaning the dirty grease out of my airbox and off my filters.

• Like 1

Tom Morgan was the factory Kawasaki mechanic for Jeff Ward and Mike LaRocco and he told me not to grease the filter about 15 years ago. I took his advice and have never had a problem with it. I sure don't miss cleaning the dirty grease out of my airbox and off my filters.

do you use filter oil, or just nothing

I've never had a problem using it, so outside of no mess, what's the downside of using? The outer ring of the airbox gets sticky, but never on the clean side of the airbox. I'm wondering if Tom explain why not specifically.

here is what i use, i use petrol to clean the filter, then rinse in a bit of water

never ever seen dirt pass the filter

i spray oil all over my filter, on the rim, everything

but i still grease it, as the oil seems to absorb more in to the filter

i use some old Valvoline grease i found in my shed, its black in colour and works wonders, grease is grease

and theirs always grease left on the air box rim so i just wipe it off, easy

maybe tom the mechanic said that because they get free bikes and putting grease on a filter is something that will take up that little bit of extra time

us recreational riders want our bike to run as long as possible

I would think that it has a lot more to do with extra insurance for an improperly fitted, or ill-fitting filter than anything else. For those of you that routinely grease the rim of the filter, do you also grease the filter bolt or retainer that goes down the middle of the filter? (if applicable.)

I've always heard a little grease around the rim helps provide a good seal and maintains good airflow. Its especially important to grease it when riding in sandy conditions.

I've never had a problem using it, so outside of no mess, what's the downside of using? The outer ring of the airbox gets sticky, but never on the clean side of the airbox. I'm wondering if Tom explained why not specifically.

I was prepping a filter for one of his amateur racers before the Mini Grand Prix in Vegas and when I asked him for grease for the filter, he instructed me not to do it and told me it was necessary. I didn't question him because he's Tom Morgan and what he says is gospel. I had always hated that part of filter service so it was welcome news to me.

Just curious how many of you guys dont ALREADY keep grease in your cabinet?? You should already have grease laying around for other parts of your bike.. So it shouldn't be any money spent :thumbsup:

And hating that part of the service? It literally takes about 30 seconds max to put a little grease on the rim.. I just put a really thin layer

I don't do it to seal it, I just do it to keep my air filter from ripping. With the No-toil I use, my filter glues itself to the air box, and rips parts of it as I remove it.. Grease has stopped that problem for me.

Not saying it's required, I am however saying you should already have grease, and I am saying it's super easy to apply. Takes much more time to remove my air filter then to grease it, more time to clean it then to grease it, and more time to lube it then to grease it..

I personally don't use grease anymore as I feel like I get a good seal without it. I do oil the filter that contacts the rim very well. I use no toil and if you use regular grease it defeats the purpose of the anti-petrol no-toil and the no toil rim grease isn't worth the trouble imo. It dries out and generally makes a big mess of the air box. Maybe if I rode a lot of sand/dry conditions I would feel a little differently.

i have one of those PC racing filter gaskets. it seems to seal well and with it, you don't use any grease. Anyone else use one of those?

i have one of those PC racing filter gaskets. it seems to seal well and with it, you don't use any grease. Anyone else use one of those?

+2 (one for each bike) :thumbsup:

...and Maxima FFT and havn't greased the filter lip in years.

Bel-Ray water proof grease for over 35 years , never any problems. It really is cheep insurance .