Sign in to follow this  

Getting a practically new 06 125, what is a must have?

I am picking up a practically new (estimated 2 hours run time) 2006 YZ 125 on tuesday. Just wondering what should I do to it that is a must have.

Off the top of my head, all I can think of is:

Hour/tach meter

Easy pre-mix gas can (anybody know where I can get one of these)

This bike is going to be almost 100% ridden on the track, do you guys do anything to protect the radiators? Braces?

Also, is there any suggestions on what I should do to the bike before taking it out. I was thinking of greasing all the bearings. Hopefully the carb is not all gummed up. Also was thinking that the tires might be old from just sitting.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Change your shift stopper.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846411&highlight=shift+stopper

Rad guards and maybe two teeth on the back.

Yeah, I read all about that shift stopper thing. I think before I do that, I want to at least take it out to the track once or twice. I think it will be ok because it's practically brand new.

What type of Rad guards are good for this bike. I had used Devol guards on a WR that I had and thought they were pretty good.

Ride it and then see what is needed. Youll probley want to put on differant tires.

Yeah, I read all about that shift stopper thing. I think before I do that, I want to at least take it out to the track once or twice. I think it will be ok because it's practically brand new.

What type of Rad guards are good for this bike. I had used Devol guards on a WR that I had and thought they were pretty good.

I would not chance it myself.You never know when it going to go. I dont think it goes from use but from 1 of 2 possible causes

1= something getting caught under it between it and the bottom of the case. there is hardly any room at all between the two.

2= dirt,grit ect that is at bottom of engine getting in the bearing. again because there is hardly any room whatsoever between it and bottom of case.

Cheap part and not that hard to change

I think I would also switch that stopper. These have failed really early in the life of many bikes.

I would also budget in a chain. The stock sprockets will last a long time if th estock chain does not have their way with them.

if you're not worried about sticks going thru your radiators, the Moose/MSR radiator cages provide MUCH better protection from bending than the Devol, flatland or Works Connection guards. While still providing the same air flow to get to the radiators themselves. You'll use the stock plastic louvers.

Here's a great deal on some radiator cages...they will fit i put them on my 07. Look up CRD YZ 125 radiator guards on ebay... the seller is annitori distributing.

Here's a great deal on some radiator cages...they will fit i put them on my 07. Look up CRD YZ 125 radiator guards on ebay... the seller is annitori distributing.

Thanks for the tip. Has anybody used these before, any reviews? Again, not looking for protection from branches/shrubs, but more from bending/twisting in a fall.

I think I would also switch that stopper. These have failed really early in the life of many bikes.

I would also budget in a chain. The stock sprockets will last a long time if th estock chain does not have their way with them.

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into changing it asap.

What chain do you recommend for these bikes? o-ring, x-ring. I am not going to race, and I would rather have a chain with a little less performance that lasts longer, and also that you don't have to service as much.