Sign in to follow this  

86 Honda XR80, Fuel or electrical Problem?!

Ok, so i bought my girlfreind an 86 Xr80 to start out on, it had a smoked cam in it, so i swapped the engine out of an 82 into it. After installing the engine in the bike, i got it running, it seems to run decent on choke, but as soon as i take it off choke, it starts to spit and pop out the intake. I rebuilt the carb. and made sure the fuel mixture screw was turned out to Honda specs. when it's on choke it revs up nicely and it is rideable, but it still pops and spits sometimes, and being on choke you can't really rev it out. My question is, is this something fuel or ignition related, i put a new plug in it, fresh gas, and checked the intake boot for any leaks, everything seems to check out fine, is it possible the coil is losing voltage intermediatly? Im sick of looking at this bike, its making me feel like crap that she can't ride it and i dont want to kill her if i stick her on my Cr250. :thumbsup:

Yea it still has a points, i've been told in the late 90's they switched to CDI and you can swap one right in. I do have an update though, i pulled the flywheel off today to check the timing advance on the flywheel, and i discovered that there's no woodrift key in the crank, i can only assume the previous owner of the engine didnt feel like replacing a key, so he just got it lined up and tightened it up. im going to swap a new key in tommorow and see what she does.