Sign in to follow this  

charging issues with sicass lighting kit

Anyone else have any charging issues after installing the basic sicass lighting kit on an 05-06 exc? My battery hasnt been charging very well lately and I think Ive figured out why. The brakelight switch in the kit taps into the dc power on the bike, and pulls about 27 watts when your on the brakes. This can pose a problem depending on what type of riding your doing. Long periods stopped at a stop light, or stopped on a hillside holding the brake. Lets say its cold out, and it took a while to start the bike. So, the battery is weak already. Then every time you use the brakes, your pulling all the dc voltage that would be charging the battery. If you make short trips, the battery will never charge. The obvious solution is to get an led taillight, which I plan on doing, I just wondered if anyone else with the sicass kit ran into this issue

No. But I put a Trail Tech DC Stator kit in my 08 530exc. I had problems with the battery going flat after 1/2 day putting around arrowing an enduro course, stop starting etc. The std stator does not charge the battery until it gets a few revs up. The Trail Tech charges the battery at Idle. Would be the ideal kit for your situation.